Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am not sure when the Corys first had stables but in 1984 when Catlin as Josh Peterson needed work, both the Cory and Love estates had stables with horses. And in 1986 when Reginald came to town, the Cory stables and the Love stables were somehow conceived of as being close enough together that there was a secret tunnel between them and that Mitch would be able to gain access to the Love stables (which Michael owned at this point) by going through from the Cory side where he was doing some kind of construction work.

The AWHP has some info regarding locations that seem to suggest that the Cory Estate had a lot of features. There is a picture of Rachel walking by the lakeshore in July 1979 which is described as being on the estate. And I believe the location where the Mac/Rachel & Sandy/Blaine double wedding took place was intended to represent the Cory estate -- it had a large swimming pool (the better to push Felicia into) and vast grounds.

I remember when Chris Chapin arrived Nancy spotted him hang gliding. So the Chapin Estate (which had been bought by Lesoleil) was also in the area at that time and probably never mentioned again.

During Lumina the Cory estate also had a secret walled garden that had never been entered in Amanda's lifetime.

I'm sure there are many other features of the estates that may have been mentioned and dropped over time, but many writers definitely treated the Cory Estate as extremely large and unlikely to be in the middle of town.

• Members

Another Rachel-Erica connection, the "I used to walk by this house on my may home from school" thing was used by AMC as well. Erica said it about the house Dr. David bought for her. It was the house she dreamed of living in someday. IMHO, Linden was the real house of dreams.

• Members

The Cory estate had stables almost immediately after the set was introduced around 1975.  Mac bought an old estate and hired Steve Frame to remodel the house for Mac and Rachel to move into.  This was while Harding Lemay was head writer, and he's the same writer who wrote the scene in which Rachel said she used to walk past the mansion on her way to school.   So Lemay created the location as both a huge estate, yet still somewhere between wherever Rachel and Ada supposedly lived and the school Rachel attended.   

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

Do new writers ever bother to ask the actors about the specifics of the history of their character? Can actors feel free to chime in when they see that an egregious error is about to be made regarding backstory or the personality of their character or would that be considered bad form or insubordination? I know the actors have a lot of lines to memorize each day, so do they even remember things that happened with their storylines years ago?  

Why can't writers assemble a panel of dedicated viewers like the people on this board as consultants? We seem to recall just about everything, LOL.

• Members

I've heard of writers who go out of their way to ask actors about their character history. 

Recently, very, because of discussion of the Daytime Emmys some of us fans were of the opinion that they need to have some kind of fan council to advise them. For example, fans would have had Andrea Evans in the IM segment say 'Tina, OLTL' not 'Rebecca, Passions'. Okay, so it wasn't discussion as much as it was criticism. 

• Members

Well, Lemay is a specific issue because he writes in his memoir about how Irna Phillips was actually hired as his consultant.  He derives some humor out of it because he wrote her as if she had very old-fashioned values and refused to modernize.  So, when he re-writes the history of Rachel, even in this very minor piece of dialogue, it sticks out, because Rachel's creator was available to see if it was possible that she walked by the Cory estate on her way to school.

I'm not obtuse to your humor, but there is added irony given their relationship.

• Members

I know this is nitpicky, but wouldn't the mansion have likely been located farther out of town and in a more rural area? (Afterall, there was acreage enough for horses and stables, right?) But we're to believe that Rachel had to walk from her lower income neighborhood and past these countryside estates on her way to the public high school which was, presumably, in the center of town.