OLTL: Killer(s) revealed

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't like the story, but the comments are what I strongly dislike. We don't need to be reminded of Marty being raped by three men, and I don't understand how this somehow makes Todd look better. I also don't understand why they're selling closure when there will never be any closure on a gang rape, and when this doesn't even address that Todd raped Marty again only last year. It only implies to me that they don't see what Todd did to her last year as anything bad.

• Members

The ABC soaps suck so badly now, lol. Yet another history re-write. While all three were culpable for the rape of Marty, Todd was the leader. Powell was an insecure dork who didn't fit in, and he particpated in the rape to please Todd. Doesn't excuse Powell....but please. Let's not act like they were all equal.

To watch an ABC soap and enjoy it at this point, you have to only have watched for the last 2-3 years.

• Members

There's no place for her in Llanview. She was a played out character when she left in 1997. Even moreso now that they abandoned her relationship with Cole to focus on the ugly relationship with Todd and the boring one with John.

• Members

No one outPratts Pratt in my book. That said, I think it's going to be a pretty turgid resolution. Yes, I can find Powell and Rebecca plausible as killers, even if it's sad - Rebecca was a favorite character of mine as a kid - but the whole thing seems like a cynical ploy to make us shift blame for Todd's actions onto other people. This would be one thing if Todd had not just raped Marty again, with no one else there in the room with him. Now it seems like a case of "but hey, these guys are just as bad/worse!"

I think this story grew out of two things: 1. Frons decreeing the need for another exciting John-centric serial killer storyline and 2. The "brilliant" Todd/Marty storyline leaving OLTL with no idea of how to salvage Todd, so they are trying to defuse and distract and shift blame anywhere they can, and they have the character behaving like everything's back to normal. He's not back to normal. He's shattered and unrecognizable, and unless he goes away or is completely overhauled there is no way to salvage this complex character for the future.

"Tarty" and the lack of direction for Todd since is most likely as much on RC as on Frons, if not more. So it's a real shame to see him failing so resoundingly with this character while there's still other things I enjoy on this very schizophrenic show. And while I think Susan Haskell is always a boon to the cast, Marty has no new direction, either. She's just the rape victim again, and unlike the post-Todd days of 1995, is not able to strike out on her own with an exciting new story and love interest. Now, she's just John's sidekick. I think RC cares more about her than ME, but I doubt Frons would allow a Marty-centric SL that did not have John as a prime mover. If this is all she's going to do, she might as well not be here. Both Todd and Marty need massive changes, not intermingling with each other - they've drained that well dry. I'd like to believe this story will clean the slate, but I seriously doubt it. Someone at the show or ABC has yet to fully face up to the fact that they broke the character of Todd, possibly irreparably, and need to stop forcing a square peg into a round hole.

• Members

IOW: "If you haven't figured out by now that I made this ish up as I went along, then you are too. stupid. to. live."

There was no need for "closure", because "closure" has happened already. That's why Todd rescued Marty and those kids (blanking on which ones at the moment) from the car wreck. That's why Todd and Marty confronted Powell at the denouement of the serial rapist story. That's why Todd went to Ireland in order to help Patrick and Marty. And unless I just imagined the whole scene, that's why Marty told Todd in one scene that she forgave him, b/c she saw he had genuine remorse for his crime(s), but admitted she'd never be able to forget what happened or trust him fully. Memo to Brian Frons, Ron Carlivati, and Frank Valentini: we don't need more closure.

Rape, like multiple personalities, is something OLTL is bent on running into the ground; and I just can't take anymore of it! A terrible thing happened during Spring Fling, in 1993. I get it! Must we rehash it again and again (and again) to this degree? I'm starting to feel like Todd, Zach and Powell should've killed and buried Marty that night when they had the chance!

Archived