Guiding Light-ways to survive

• Members

Thanks.

Here is another reason I think this won't happen.

MediaWeek reports that Lifetime is in discussion with a major P&G rival for a large sponsorship deal. They're not going to jeopardize that by featuring a P&G product.

It's not Lifetime, if GL finds a new home....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hear what you're saying... and I read that last week too (it was linked from the M2W website), but it's my understanding the deal with Unilever is only for one mini-series to feature one of their products. I don't think it would have much impact on the talks between them for GL, a separate entity. I may be mistaken, but that was the way I understood it. :)

• Members

But really, does GL have the ability to do that? the writing on arandom day is good in some scenes, but it's so hit and miss, not to count the lack of any sort of production. The "evening news" *BWAHKenCorday* film style and lack of any sort of sets, productions values or anything is something they'd need to figure out to do if they did some sort of 13 week run or something like Army Wives. And find the money to do it. And would whatever totally cut down cast they would put together be what people would watch, and what new viewers would turn in? Like others have said, it would need to be a city type of thing and a whole new show. And at that point, why not produce a new show?

I also think they realize that GL, if it ends up some where else, isn't going to bring in the same amount of viewers on cable. Given how many houses that are out there who can't even get a convertor box together, getting them to get cable and switch over is a long shot. Yes, there are passionate groups of fans on the internet who would follow the show, but I think the flow of Quarterlife from the net to the actual air shows that the internet isn't always a reflection of what viewers are watching.

A random question--when Passions got the Direct TV pick up, how long was it between the NBC canceling and Direct TV picking it up? I kind of remember it being a couple of weeks but I can't remember.

• Members

Well, posters on other boards, who have been right in the past, do say that talks look good. It would feature a paired down GL which would focus on the Bauer and Spaudling families...(get that, no Super Duper Coopers) and to a lesser extent, the Lewises. I have a feeling that RN and KZ will be too expensive...they will probably kill off or backburner Alan and let Phillip take over the family, (which should have been done years ago...)

If they do it that way it will make sense, really to focus on the two longest running current families, who have LOADS of history and conflict (much more so then the boring and insipid Wonderful Coopers against EVIL Spauldings.) The added bonus of getting rid of the most expensive people is that we can now focus on the great characters that have been ignored for too long, Rick, Blake and her kids, etc. With this direction it must mean that Crappy Kreizman will be shown the door and that Wheeler and Hurst will be in charge. I think that these characters and families will work the best with this format (I mean, how could a clone or person who jumps through paintings run around this town?)

GL has two million viewers, which is the same as Mad Men, and people say that show is a HIT....it also isnt that far off of the rest of the soaps..it would be smart for somone to pick it up. Will it survive..I think a once a week spot isnt the best way to do it, it would be better every day a half hour each, , but I would LOVE to see GL live out its last days without the death grip of the Coopers, without Babs Bloom putting her big snoz in...without Daisy, with the Spauldings returned to sanity, with the Bauers back in their kitchen, and without David Crapsmeins dirty fingerprints all over the show.

The old girl might have a trick or two left for a year or two..lets give her the chance!

• Members

Hmm, that's not what EW says when they talk about Mad Men...or why Saturday Night Live would have the star host the show, numbers are numbers..

However, I do agree that it depends on the venue and network in terms of what they would consider a viable product, and what numbers they need to make it profitable. Also, the demos of GL are most likely not like Mad Men, but hey, ya gotta sell Metamucil somewhere right???

I could see someone "saving," GL to get the publicity (and it would get plenty) and I think without the weight of KZ's, RN's and BradC's salary, the show would still get some numbers and still remain profitable. Look at Days, getting rid of DH and DH was one of the best moves "Budget wise," they have done, and it hasnt hurt their ratings at all. I think the days of the big "stars," in daytime is over...(sorry, I am rambling a bit here.)

• Members

GL has good actors. No one is debating that. Unfortuently the show itself has been subpar and has been on its last legs for quite some time. This cancellation came as no surprise. Biggest surrpise was that it took so long. I dont see a life for the show come this fall. It'll pretty much be dead once it hits

• Members

I basically agree with you on this: "GL is dead." But, on this, "I dont see why anyone would realistically want it", I think it is ironic that the show is becoming somewhat "wantable" again.

I'm of dual minds...the realist says "good night", but the optimist says "I think they could be experimental and give it new life in a different way...almost a GL spinoff".

Archived