Guiding Light-ways to survive

• Members

How expensive do you think Guiding Light would be to produce, if it kept its current production model, dropped the cast to about 14 contract players, and made it a once a week show that aired on Lifetime or Soapnet? Do you think it would work? Would fans deal with GL only being on once a week?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They could slash the budget to $.50/wk (if they haven't already), drop the cast to 3 contract players and an extra who plays all the other parts like that dude on "Captain Kangaroo," and air it as an interstitial show between reruns of "RuPaul's Drag Race" on LOGO, and I still don't think fans would accept it.

• Members

Frankly, MikeGoldy, I don't think GL would succeed in any format on any other network (and I apologize for being flippant in my previous answer). I mean, sure, another network - Lifetime, SN, the Hallmark Channel - could give it a try, but...

1) The success rate of daytime (TV) soaps switching networks is slim-to-nil; and

2) Viewing habits, I believe, are very ingrained, and hard to change. It'd be hard to watch GL once a week on SN, let's say, after watching it for so long every afternoon on CBS.

Plus, I cannot think of any network that would look at the current state of GL, a long-running institution that has struggled for over a decade to reclaim and hold onto its' share of the viewing audience, and see buying it as an attractive proposition. I know *I* would look at it as a network exec and wonder to myself, "What could I do to boost this show and make them a profit-turner for my network, that CBS hasn't tried three times already?"

• Members

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Lifetime is interested. I got an email today - the same email that many others have gotten from Lifetime saying that they have no plans to add daytime serials to their lineup.

Soapnet is probably GL's only hope, other than P&G/Telenext footing the whole bill and doing an internet type of a very very watered down version.

• Members

What did you expect them to say? Hey, thanks for writing us, we are in negotiations and hope to bring Guiding Light to you someday soon?! :lol:

It's a form response from the head of viewer relations. It's business 101. I wouldn't read too much into the response. Who really knows if GL will find a home after that network that shall not be named. We know that talks are taking place. I have faith and will continue to put forth every effort to let them know that we want to see GL continue. I think GL is a much more viable show than that network gave them credit for being. But only time will tell.

In the meantime, I will continue to be in awe of the actors on this show, JLH's writing, and all things Otalia.

• Members

Here is a scenario where GL has a slim - and I do mean slim - chance of surviving well into the future:

1) GL is moved to a network that is available in the majority of households in this country. If you think GL could make a new home for itself on some obscure channel you can access only if/when you subscribe to an expensive digital cable tier, think again.

2) When GL is on, it's on at the same time (...more or less...) on the new network that it was on the old. I realize many fans watch GL at 10 am; however, for most of the U.S., I believe, it's 2 or 3 pm, depending on the time zone.

3) GL's quality, at least in terms of its producing and writing, is improved dramatically. IOW, changes must be made at the top.

4) GL's budget with the new network has to be, at the very least, comparable to what it is now. As it is, the budget is already threadbare. Anything less, IMO, would be beyond embarrassing, and downright insulting.

5) GL cannot afford now to be nostalgic, or to do "more of the same". GL, at its' new home, must be different. I'm not talking production values here. I'm talking about truly rebuilding this show from the inside out. What will keep this show alive on the new network that adheres to its core values, but at the same time, is fresh and unique and unlike anything we might've seen in the past?

• Members

Geez, some of the responders here are pretty flippant.

I wouldn't go so far as to expect Lifetime to have said that they are in negotiations, but they could have left the door opened a little bit by saying something like they are always looking at programming options instead of saying outright that they will not be adding daytime serials. I take that as an outright no way will it be happening on Lifetime. It's not Business 101 to close off your options the way Lifetime did.

• Members

IMO, the only practical way to continue GL is to pull a Loving/The City thing. If a cable net is interested, TPTB should end the show in a big celebratory event, but then keep around several key characters and follow them. Of course, they'd pick all of the wrong characters, but it's worth a shot.

• Members

I don't think it's impossible for GL to find a way to survive. But I sincerely doubt it would produce five eppys/week. I could see it moving to cable and being an "arc" show like Army Wives. It would require changes in the cast. But I think the writing would improve if freed from pointless plots like coughanythingDAISYcough and given more leeway on cable.

The standards on cable are different. I just read an article where USA was thrilled to average 3 million viewers in primetime. (making them the most watched cable network and surpassing the CW). Given those realities, you'd think some network would covet those GL viewers and try to find some way.

The way tv is going, it'll be nothing but reruns and crappy reality shows.

• Members

I wasn't trying to be flippant. I was just responding to the person who said it doesn't look like Lifetime is interested b/c of the response received from Sydney Plant. We know that PGP/Telenext has been in talks with Lifetime so I would like for people to keep up their efforts and not get discouraged because of that response.

The following is the exact response:

Thank you for your e-mail and your suggestion to Lifetime. We have no plans to add daytime serials to our programming line-up.

We hope you’ll enjoy our current schedule, which includes shows such as Reba, Desperate Housewives and Wife Swap.

Best regards,

Sydney Plant

Lifetime Networks

I e-mailed them and listed two shows that I currently watch on there, neither of which was listed in their response. No matter what you say, if it relates to GL, you get this response... listing the exact same three shows to watch on their schedule.

Archived