Y&R Adam and Heather

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They obviously had no idea what to do with these characters after the Mexico drama was over, and now they're keeping them around and writing them as they go along, hoping some story will fall into their laps. With Adam, at least they are trying. With Heather, I see no effort, and she's stuck in a job where she isn't exactly believable.

They just need to make up their mind regarding these two but whatever way they go I'll be fine with it. I would, however, have a harder time losing Adam than Heather. There are so many possibilities to choose from.

• Members

I think Adam's ruin is from several problems.

Victor is now such an all-powerful figure, they can't actually write Adam as being any type of equal to Victor, or as sympathetic. Instead, they have to make sure viewers know why Victor was so hostile towards Adam. They have to know why Adam deserved to be crushed. No one on the show can ever criticize Victor, or they will be made to pay. Jack, Nikki, Adam -- all the characters who dislike Victor are now extremely feeble.

Ashley and Victor have no story. I'm not sure what the idea was behind bringing her back, but Brad's death and Abby's immediate acceptance of Victor as her father took away the strongest dramatic potential. To give her a pregnancy is laughable and is the route they go when they don't have any story plans for a more mature soap character. Eric and Eileen have no chemistry together which I can see and Ashley's relationship with Jack has become nothing more than her looking down on him. The only way to give Ashley a story is to make her Adam's victim. Victor's damsel in distress.

• Members

I don't want to believe you, but what you say makes sense. Why couldn't Adam just be a good boy with a mean temper, who makes mistakes? Why couldn't he be a more morally centered (thanks, Hope) version of Nicholas? There are millions of ways that Adam's dual nature could have fueled story.

Thank you for saying this! In few words, you crystallized some of my HUGE concerns with the Ashley story. The relationship formed too easily; Ashley swallowed her doubts too quickly; the pregnancy is proceeding too facilely (she ought to be anxious EVERYDAY given her history). I agree that there has been virtually no Brad-death fallout (compare that to the Sabrina fallout, which continues to occur). I can only imagine that this is because they don't want fans to miss Brad/Diamont, whom they had carefully backburnered long before his "heroic" death.

I'd love to see Abby fighting her loathing for her biological father. But perhaps they are writing to the actress' own limitations?

We're beginning to uncover some weaknesses in what remains the best show on daytime. Let's hope they can shore this up. If the cast is too big for them to handle...fine...pare down...but ideally they'd leave us characters who fit perfectly on the canvas and with much room to grow (like Adam).

• Members

I'm by no means a regular viewer of Y&R, but in everything I've seen, the Adam/Heather story arc(s) have been weak, meandering, and scarcely committed to. Heather is by no means written as likable in any scene I've caught, thought I feel Vail Bloom has talent, but isn't being written to her strengths. I'd rather see her as a more shallow vixen, because her voice, and look makes her too slutty for the ADA seat, IMO.

Engen is great in anything he's given, and I don't mind there being a dark horse Newman child, who felt robbed of a Newman upbringing. But I don't feel that's been portrayed well, if that's what they intended, and I don't feel Adam is the kind of man I'd see as having been raised by farmgirl Hope. I had no idea Adam is faking blindness or gaslighting Ashley, but if he is, then at least they are committing to SOME kind of story to keep him on the canvas and affecting other characters. Who knows how it'll turn out.

I would always welcome Chris Engen as NuJoey Buchanan on OLTL, and think he'd make the perfect younger brother to Dan Gauthier's Kevin.

• Members

I agree, it seems that they had no future plans for these characters beyond Adam/Victor and then Heather as the ADA is SO unbelievable. They need to lighten her up and I think that Vail has the potential to do well. She can bring it in her more emotional scenes such as when she and Adam were breaking up. Sometimes, I never understand what TPTB are thinking because she and Engen have good romantic chemistry.

Archived