Y&R: Week of February 16, 2009

• Members

But (correct me if I'm wrong) that still doesn't give us the real John Abbott back.

I wouldn't even mind Gloria that much if it weren't for the fact that her coming on the show ultimately resulted with John dying....

However I've come to accept it and I'll settle for "Ghost John" as opposed to some over the top soap retcon just to have him alive and well.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mark H, I like the idea that they would be related, I don't like the idea of him morphing into John. JD looked like he was having a lot of fun as Alistair and I could see him playing with that and making him his own character. I like the idea of him moving in with the Abbott's but he should actually give them all the advice that John wouldn't and have them choose to go more with the John way as a result!!

• Members

ABFF -- Adam'sBeardFanForever.

As for Alistair, I love Jerry Douglas as much as the next guy but... no. I FFed through all his scenes which consisited of him making drunken passes at Gloria and weirding Jack out.

JD is John. But just because Alistair looks like John doesn't mean I like Alistair all that much. John exuded loving, wise, patriarchal authority (except where Gloria was concerned and he became this doormat) and that was ALL about who John Abbott was and what he represented in the community and as founder of Jabot Cosmetics.

• Members

:lol:

We have to start campaining. We might even score a cover line at those depserate people at SOD... :P

I really think the beard suits Adam (Saiyng this as someone who has also pondered to got that route). To fight the Moustache with the full beardedness.

ICAM about your Alistair comment. A nice throwaway role but simply incomparable to John Abbott because we don't share ties to him as a viewer at all.

• Members

Alistair may have been fun for me in an episode or two but after that it was just stupid. However, I agree that it was visible Jerry was enjoying himself.

On another board, a user posted two messages he got from Chris Engen (it is totally up to us to believe the user or not). Engen said

• Members

No, ghost John for me now weakens Jack...too much of a crutch. It diminishes the idea that Jack might actually HAVE INTERNALIZED some of John's strength (rather than constantly externalizing it).

Yeah, but most of us didn't like Alistair because he was such a buffoon.

I do like your idea though at some level. Trim back on the buffoonery, make Alistair well intentioned....but then have the KIDS have the voice of John inside...so they ignore Alistair's bad advice.

That said, the one time I liked the ghost was during that "Six Feet Under" episode--where EVERYONE saw him. If they did that regularly, I would be happier.

Hey, you are right. But I amthinking with skillful writing and a trimming back on buffoonery, it could work.

So, Adam is good to look at in all stages of hirsuteness. That said, I do think it could give him some strength and power and reduce the boyish charm aspect of him. All of these would be good things if he takes on Victor.

But am I sick for hoping that he and Victor can find a loving and mutually respectful relationship? 'Cause that is what I want.

• Members

My opinion of their relationship changes from time to time. Sometimes I just want them to work it out and to have Adam kick down Victoria and Nick again, but the fact is...... the only time Victor and Adam could have a loving relationship is when Adam would be Victor's puppy, ready to do whatever Victor wants him to---I don't want to see Adam do that.

If Victor ever springs him out of jail, he'll probably have to be obedient, but eventually I'd like him to have his independence from the old man.

• Members

Oh, I would love this to be the end-game. But until then, Adam and Victor work best as seething rivals. What each has done to the other -- and I think Victor's revenge was the more egregious sin :lol: when all was said and done -- will take a long time to forgive. And before they do that, they need to work through all their anger and resentment and flaws. They have projected so much on each other (Adam wants Victor's unconditional love... Victor wants a male version of Hope by which he can treasure her memory) that neither can live up to these impossibly high standards.

Honestly, I'd like to see Adam beat the Newmans at their own game before coming into the fold -- and being accepted by Nicholas and Victoria as well as Victor. Of course, that may never happen -- Victor only gives love to those who acquiesce and destroys those who defy him. But at the end of the day, I want Victor to look at Adam and think "This is the son I respect the most." Because despite all the blah-blah about Fauxtoria being most like Victor (under AH, I find she is more like Nikki!), I think Adam is probably most like Victor -- flaws and all.

Oh, and P.S.: when Adam gets out of jail, Jack also better watch his back. :lol:

Archived