Y&R: Week of February 16, 2009

• Members
They're ALREADY doing it. That's my point. People, just in this thread, as far as the character is concerned hate their little self righteous bull. And both actors are perfect for it. They're not the best actors or anything, but they're serviceable and they'd be most effective if they're used in the way I described.

Why would they bring in super likable actors when the two they already have are hated by a portion of their fanbase and their characters are seen as obnoxious and self-righteous?

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like Jack and Sharon as friends, but I just think it is too soon to have them in thses friends roles. Jack still thinks he wants to be married to Sharon and he comes off as deperate and a bit of a glutton for punishment being Sharon's friend. It had to hurt to know she slept with Nick and now a one night stand.

He knows Sharon is having major problems, but I think her mother or someone else should be the one to pick up the pieces or how about suggesting counseling to the woman?

• Members
No, I'm talking about Cane and Lily. They've already got the whole obnoxious, do-gooder, holier-than-thou thing going for them. Which is why I'd advise against a recast or back-burnering them. They'd (the actors who play Cane and Lily) be perfect for the story that I was sorta outlining in my other post.

• Members

Yeah - "we don't know how to write for Asian characters longterm, so screw 'em!"

Seriously, as much as criticize the soaps for not having enough black and Latino characters, have we ever seen a main character that's Asian on a soap?

Luan wasn't that interesting, but Keemo could've worked out a lot better than he did.

• Members

They really dropped the ball when they didn't make Ji Min Kim, Kemo. The problem with soaps writing for minorities is that they seem to think they need special writing, rather than making them regular characters. Although I think Y&R is great for the most part, it is disgusting to me how segregated it is. Karen used to work for a living rather than only interacting with Neil and Tyra. Tyra could be shown at Indigo doing her job, but most characters are now hanging out at the dive bar, where Lily has a job but doesn't ever work.

• Members
We'll probably wind up just having a differing opinion on this. But what I'm seeing is that if they built the Cane/Lily versus Chloe/Billy thing right, then they'll get people wanting to tune in just to see the Self Righteous Duo get theirs. I think Cane & Lily's portrayer's and their inability (at least at the moment) to act on the level of the other two is kind of an advantage in this situation.

Archived