ALL: Crossovers

• Members

I actually wanted to know where I can get information on all crossover done on soaps. I am a crossover fan, cause I feel soap operas are like real life, in some areas, people move away to other towns make new friends and create history, but dont loose contact with their family and old friends in the process. I purposely would love to see more crossover, but done right. I would love to see a Corinth citizen move to Pine Valley or Llanview or a The City character come to Port Charles to visit with Tracey. I feel ATWT/GL should do some since they are the last of the P&G babies.

Who would you like to see crossover on soaps?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With such actor cross-pollination, I'm against them. They create needless confusion when one actor from one show goes to another in a different role. Not to mention they are needless gimmicks that shows use when they really should be creating good story with their own people. The only time I am possibly for them is when a character comes from a defunct show like AW's Cass.

• Members

I dislike them very much.

Each soap should have its own world, tone, characters.

I could care less that Pine Valley is up the highway from Llanview or that Aggie created both shows.

The only crossover that was truly awesome was Kimberlin Brown at B&B and Y&R. Both show's styles were so similar and Sheila was an amazing character and Kimberlin was awesome. B&B went from #7 to #3 in the ratings. It was the smartest decision the Bells ever made. And it was a huge storyline THAT WORKED.

I don't need some loser character like Babe dragging her stupid baby storyline to Llanview. Llanview has enough problems.

And ABC would just screw it up anyway.

I think most people here like crossovers. I do not.

• Members

I love them, but that is (in part) because they give me this feeling of a bigger immersed universe. It's like different "rooms" in a virtual game...the reality is more all encompassing...it lets my imagination go further. I don't know if it makes sense.

For example, I LIKED that when Another World ended, parts of Bay City could life on (briefly) in Oakdale.

But I have tried to canonically document these for a very long time :-).

• Members

I like the crossovers which wink at life in the other city, just to remind viewers the cities are close. One was when Nora, Rachel, and Hank went on Tad Martin's talk show.

I don't like stunts which seem to have no purpose other than getting attention, like Linda Dano soaphopping, being shoehorned into stories about finding a desk or hitting Adam in the face with a pie, and finding a mother and daughter she would barely interact with as soon as the stunt was done.

The baby switch crossover with Babe and Paul a few years ago had a much more promising idea, but I didn't care about anyone involved.

• Members

Sheila, Bold and Beautiful, early 90s. It redefined the crossover. It preserved an awesome character, it strengthened B&B, and the viewers followed.

Now, eventually -- long term -- the Sheila character devolved. But in the early 90s...it was perfection.

That crossover actually got me watching (AMC-OLTL babyswitch). I just loved that story from end to end. It was better on AMC, where the WHOLE CANVAS including many veterans were wrapped into that umbrella. Loved it, loved it. I felt AMC lost a lot of momentum when that tale ended.

• Members

I like the "cute" little crossovers, or throw away lines even, that connect characters or towns, like the Adam/Dorian/Mary scene or a passing mention to Corinth. You know how soaps used to be about people just sitting around the kitchen bemoaning their troubles, I would actually love the occasional crossover scene like that, I mean who wouldn't enjoy a scene or two of editors Viki Davidson and Brooke English having lunch, or police chiefs Bo and Jesse grabbing a beer together, maybe bud Tad and bro Clint tag along. Was it with Tad or Jack or ??, I forget, but Nora came to AMC maybe ten years ago and had lunch with a character, as well as making a passing reference to Erica Kane during a bedtime conversation with Bo. Basically, I'm saying that I don't need crazy huge groundbreaking crossover storylines, but when shows share the same studio or are only blocks away from one another, crossovers can be a welcome treat to the fans.

Archived