The Politics Thread

• Members

I can only guess that someone got through to him how likely Democrats are to lose the Senate this year  (seeing a poll showing the complete idiot and domestic abuser Herschel Walker comfortably leading in Georgia made my heart sink, even though  it wasn't a surprise), and that this will be the last chance to replace him with someone who is not a hard right extremist. 

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I wouldn't trust any poll showing Walker leading comfortably. There are a lot of Republican leaning polls out there will suspicious methodology and Georgia is still the south so a black man who has beat white women is going to have some major problems.

• Members

Most are unlikely to remember this but when Barbados (with newly minted national hero Rihanna in tow) officially broke with England and of having the Queen as their head of state, I stated that this would likely be followed by more nations, particularly in the Caribbean, to follow suit.

The Prime Minister of Jamaica announced to William and Kate's faces that Jamaica is going to become a republic. 

https://news.yahoo.com/jamaican-prime-minister-tells-william-171505873.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

According to what I am hearing, there is now talk in the Bahamas.

• Members

Their Caribbean tour has been mostly been a debacle, which makes me wonder whether Charles sent them as sort of a Machiavellian move, of sorts.

Neither William nor Kate did their homework, offending many as they went along. Showing up to the Prime Minister's office wearing the colors of the opposition party, I am sure it must've given him great joy to deliver the announcement to their faces.

Please register in order to view this content

The fact that Kate, that is, was wearing the colors of the opposing political party got a lot more talk than I expected.

• Members

Their likely resentment and hatred of Harry and Meghan, and the constant drip of poisonous leaks they likely put out about them, were incredibly foolish in the long-term. Without them around, the laziness and stupidity of William and Kate, an  increasingly open secret over the years, is on full force. Kate's vapidity is one thing, but  William in particular is just the epitome of every buffoonish authority figure in every Britcom, just, unfortunately for him,  much less attractive and charismatic than the best of them like Paul Eddington and Chris Barrie. I still can't get past him strutting around in that crush velvet green suit a year or two ago. I don't know who decided to have them go on a press tour when these countries made it clear they were moving  on, but the days of locals awestruck and waving at the visiting gods are long over. 

• Members

Someone proposed that it was Prince Charles, knowing/hoping they'd flop so that there would be less talk of the line of succession skipping Charles and Camilla and going directly to William and Kate. That's why I was referring to that possibility as being Machiavellian.

These folks are so out of touch that they believed that their lazy efforts would be received like "manna from heaven". There are staged photos where they are supposedly reaching towards grasping hands of school children behind a fence. What was not said was that those school children (who had gotten the time off from class) were there to see Jamaican born, British soccer/football star Raheem Sterling.

The biggest message that came in loud and clear is that of the visa imbalance, where every majority white Commonwealth nation can travel to the United Kingdom without a passport, but none of the non-white majority nations, even though Brits are free to travel visa-free to any one of these nations. All nations in the Commonwealth with a non-white majority population must spend hundreds of dollars on a visa application, the majority of applicants will most likely be rejected. People ask why citizens of Canada, Australia and New Zealand can travel visa free to the U.K. while citizens of Jamaica, Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago can't, well that's just coincidence and timing. Wink. 

• Members

I saw those photos. I did wonder how staged they were...

This PR stuff works better if there is good will with the public. I'm sure there is still some in the UK, but not as much, and not for most of the non-Elizabeth members of the family. 

That makes sense about Charles. He seems like a smart man (if not in the ways that mattered most). William...not so much.

• Members

Part of the problem with William and Kate, even before the poor planning, is that neither of them is good at interacting with the public. Meghan and Harry are. Harry was good even before Meghan entered the picture. William is Charles son but Harry is Diana's and it shows. Add Meghan to the mix and William and Kate don't stand a chance in the court of public opinion.

I also think that like Charles and Diana before them, William and Kate have grown to hate each other.

Edited by marceline