The Politics Thread

• Members

All surprisingly cynical from you, Wales...

Rather than argue the merits of all that you have said, I'll sit back and wait and watch to see what happens.

The fact of the matter, however, is that there is no excuse for the so-called mainstream media to sit on this Libya story and barely report on it. The facts are out there... check them out for yourself.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Carl, what scandal is easy to understand? Point to me a scandal where nobody tried to cover anything up and truth and fact were laid bare for all to see...

Come on... But like I said to Wales, let's watch and wait and see what comes out. The families of those dead heroes who defied the "stand down" order won't rest until these questions are answered. You probably won't get truth until Obama is out of office... he's covering something up. He won't answer questions. What do YOU think that means?

• Members

I'm not sure how I'm being cynical. If you're referring to my position on Mitt Romney's "relief" contributions then it's no different from what I would say about anyone else who did the same thing and it's pretty much in line with whatever else I've said about people in general. They could have donated the money to the Red Cross or a relief agency instead of buying goods to make their candidate appear "charitable" in a crisis. Expressing concern and offering prayers would have sufficed. Staging takes us back to the story that Paul Ryan was washing clean pots at a soup kitchen. That comes across as manipulative in the worst way.

Please don't mistake a comment about the average voter not caring about Libya as the equivalent of saying the situation was handled adequately. Pointing out Mitt Romney's inability to communicate effectively on that topic is not equivalent to saying it was handled adequately either.

Since I don't know all the details I am not in a position to judge. Nor do I believe that all security related issues should be up for public consumption, if it threatens security.

After re-reading my post, I am absolutely certain that I don't know what your definition of cynical is.

Was I supposed to gloss over Mitt Romney's lies about Jeep?

And I can pretty much dismiss Jeb Bush's attempt at trying to downplay FEMA by saying that it's all in the hands of the local and state governments. Is that his way of taking any blame of his brother for his team''s response to Hurricane Katrina?

Anyone who wants to know "the truth" about Libya can always tune into Fox cable news. Other media outlets will probably spend the greater portion of their coverage on storm reporting so I'm going to assume that only the people who are really burning up about Barack Obama want the focus to be on Libya right now.

• Members

The reason Romney has backed off Libya is because clear-headed, incisive reporting on Libya has proven there is nothing there. The CIA has backed that up. A series of unfortunate coincidences and yes, possible security failures, and a national tragedy. But not a cover-up or a gross failure from any department. The other reason is because every time Mitt has tried to go there he has humiliated himself and looked like a fool. Starting in September, and capped off with the second debate. After that, you couldn't get him to say Benghazi on TV with a cattle prod to his nuts. The Republican Congress also doesn't want to explain why they cut embassy security funding.

In the right-wing noise bubble you can get away with the endless conspiracies into conspiracies based on no real evidence. You can get away with gleefully reprinting pictures of Chris Stevens' ashen corpse being dragged through the streets and claiming without proof that the Libyan citizens were not taking him to shelter, but instead off to mutilate his body after - this is actually part of the RW coverage - raping him before his death. And maybe that will even work for you in a Republican primary. But it doesn't work in the national race, or in the national eye. It's a paranoid right wing fantasy of a Jimmy Carter reprise, 24, xenophobia and homophobia all wrapped in one insane package. It just doesn't work in the light of day, and that's why the nation has rejected it. It's a loser. But Rush Limbaugh and Drudge and Breitbart say it's still hot, even when America has forcefully rejected it. They never get out of the bubble and take an honest look at the state of the nation. That is why they lose.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I see that the mainstream media's narrative about Romney "momentum" is finally receding as the attacks on Nate Silver have been beaten back and none of the media want to be wrong on election day.

I saw Jeb complaining the President blames his brother. Totally made me laugh. His brother and father will go down as two of the worse presidents. They both marched the country into horrible recessions by insisting on their wrong headed policies and 9/11 happened on his brother's watch. You just know that corrupt Jeb will be running for president in four years time. He and his friends plundered the retirement fund of Florida state employers trying to bail out their friend Ken Lay and Enron causing millions of losses.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

Easy to understand - Lewinsky. Gennifer Flowers.

I guess some complicated scandals can still inflict Presidential pain, but I think the era of Watergate is long over. If that happened today, I think it would get more of a shrug. Many are just burnt out and don't want to care. And with Libya, after ten years of Middle East misadventures, it's just a blur.

There's a reason Rove had the big TV moments like Saddam's statue being pulled down the Mission Accomplished fiasco. He knew what got attention.

• Members

The infamous "heckuva job Brownie" has weighed in to blast Obama's handling of Sandy. (no comment on Libya, as far as I can tell)

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/264845-bushs-brownie-criticizes-obama-on-sandy

Chris Christie is playing this very well. Not only does he get media coverage, which he loves, but he also gives Romney something of a black eye by going around with Obama. Either Christie is miffed over not being chosen as VP or he's hoping to clear a path for 2016.

• Members

Christie knows Romney can't win. He's positioning himself as the lone moderate Republican in 2016 (though Jon Huntsman is far superior). Get ready for a "Biggest Loser" weight loss saga, too, I'll bet. He's a smart man.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I think the Middle East has just become a big blur for Americans to be honest. And while its perhaps a little cynical to say this, I think many see anyone serving there by their choices, that their fate is in their own hands, since it is a less safe part of the world. Im not excusing it, i just think its a pretty common mentality. It doesnt mean people dont grieve or feel sorrow when something tragic happens, but its all become relative. Service men and women are different, as they are perceived as more of the "common man", with limited control over where they are sent to serve and what "wars" this country chooses to participate in.

As for it being a big scandal, weren't Whitewater and Paula Jones and Monica Lewinsky considered great scandals, but out of those 3, I'll bet many Americans don't or didn't have a clue what Whitewater was about but they sure as hell knew the details of the sex scandals. And at the end of the day, none of it mattered. The American people loved Clinton and for the most part, tired of all of it and had no interest in seeing him impeached (which turned out to be a non event) or booted out of office.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Um...wow. And this man will likely still win.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congress/2012/11/bro-house-candidate-bentivolio-mentally-unbalanced-147994.html?hp=l4

Chuck Hagel is endorsing Bob Kerrey. Not sure it will make any difference, although the pissy statement from Mike Johanns does the party no favors.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gpkr70FCZasQBGCx3nyi4yuFGgNA?docId=849a28708f1e4b3a90ea3cef012af0cd