The Politics Thread

• Members

It's kind of like "not my president".  I understand it, but we are affected by his policies even if we disavow him. The same will be true for the decisions SCOTUS makes unfortunately. 

One thing Trump has done is made this a "for us or against us" situation. The lines are pretty damn clear.  Not that long ago we discussed issues in this thread like how undocumented immigrants were easy to exploit by the farming industry.  I was pretty on the fence about what I thought was right. Now,  we have kids in cages, so the economics of any of this is hard for me to worry about.  He have to try to pressure these worthless politicians to do the right thing.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The article about the farmer who is now supporting Phil Bredesen because of Trump reminds me a lot of the old days when we'd hear about this or that rich Republican who was now supporting Hillary. I think he's going to be in for a rude awakening about how many below him on the food chain will still blindly support Trump. These men have lost all control of the monsters they created.

I hate to be shallow, but I just couldn't even stomach watching most of Kavanaugh, who looks like he just got straight off PTL. I'd say he is better than that Comey woman, but they both think I'm going to burn in hell and they're both happy to let the world burn, so I guess it doesn't really matter, it's just a difference of style. I think Trump was never going to pick a woman (at most he might if it's to replace a woman) but beyond that, I have a feeling that for all the slobbering from the right over how she would have made Democrats look like heathens and sexists, McConnell probably knew she stood a huge chance of not being confirmed. 

I thought of all the hype of China moving forward in responsible environmental methods when I read this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44738952

• Members

I can't stand this type of stuff. I don't know how to make it smaller as I don't see the font control button. I know this is what you get with Politico, but this type of blatant, glib dishonesty (the far right has made it clear they want no moderates and that two of their main goals are to ban abortion and gay marriage and overturn those rulings...and in many areas of the country it is now all but impossible for women to have abortions) is exactly why so many hate the pundit class. 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/07/09/donald-trump-brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-218963

That does not mean the Democratic opposition will refrain from hyperventilating. For some reason, when Democratic presidents place liberal Democratic justices on the Court, Republicans remain calm. They may oppose. They may even oppose when they should not. But the four horses of the apocalypse are kept in the barn, out of sight. The nominees even get a substantial number of Republican votes. Merrick Garland aside, Obama’s two nominees both got 67 votes. But when Republican presidents nominate conservative justices no less qualified, sane, and moderate, the left throws a fit. It matters not who the nominee is.

Please, my liberal friends, calm down.

Abortion is not in danger. Roe v. Wade is an intellectual mess and the practice of abortion is anything but “safe, legal and rare,” as President Bill Clinton wanted it to be. But the Supreme Court as an institution is slow to change and extremely slow to admit its mistakes. I may be a poor vote-counter, but it is hard for me to count five votes for overruling Roe. At most, the Court will continue the path of the past two decades of permitting reasonable regulation but protecting the core of the right to an abortion. And even if I am wrong about that, remember that a reversal of Roe means nothing more than a return to the democratic process. If abortion is as valued as right at Democratic activists claim that it is, there is no need to protect it from the voters. Moreover, technology is quickly making abortion almost impossible to prohibit.

Same-sex marriage is in even less danger. Again, Obergefell was not the best-reasoned of decisions, but there is zero appetite on the right to reverse it. At most, individuals and religious groups opposed to the practice will be protected from being coerced to lend their support or approval. That should have been the law all along.

• Members

Maybe they're trying to get out of seeing Trump too...

I think a lot of these are temper tantrums. The right wing in the UK are starting to see the Brexit they wanted is never going to happen. They also don't have the ability to get Theresa May out of office. This is their only way to get attention.

I read that people are denying this. Who knows. I will say if it's true then he is one of the most craven justices ever on the SCOTUS.

• Members

I actually agree with you on this. None of them thought leave would win the referendum therefore had no real plan on how to move forward. I can't stand the Tories or May, but they are all cowards, including that buffoon Boris Johnson.  I am no Corbyn fan and lets face it, Labour does not really have a Brexit plan either, and I know another election is no option right now, but right now I'd give anything to see the Tories out period.

I have also read a theory about Kennedy being pseudo forced out due to his sons relationship with Trump via Deutch Bank. Who knows. The suspicious part of all this is that Kennedy did hire law clerks for the next SCOTUS term so something is definitely up.