The Politics Thread

• Members

I think that's just realistic. People who struggle with student loans are also some of the most vulnerable to inflation. I worry about people who have huge rent bills. How are they going to feed their kids when their wages are garnished and SNAP is harder to get? Maybe less disposable income in the economy will bring down inflation rates along with interest rates. We'll find out soon enough.

I do wonder what's going to happen on the small business front. Are we all going to have to bring along cards identifying our sexuality, gender, race, religion and hope we are among the group to be served at any given establishment? I'm exaggerating, but this decision was so stupid and unnecessary.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

There’s a really fine line between consumer spending decreasing enough to bring down interest rates (how many people will actually be in a position to make those big ticket purchases that usually benefit from lower rates, is another question) and consumer spending being so low that businesses can’t expand or they must layoff workers due to cost cutting measures as a result, putting the economy in recession. Then there’s the aspect of some food prices still being elevated. I think there will be many industries affected by cutbacks in spending.

Biden mentioned that the GOP is still trying to find ways to make their trillion dollars tax cuts for the wealthy permanent, even though they have yet to actually pay for themselves. At least there would be a higher likelihood that student loan debt forgiveness would have paid for itself in consumer spending and greater entrepreneurship.  

Now the Supreme Court is going to deliberate on a Second Amendment ruling involving guns in a domestic violence case. I don’t have much hope that this ruling will be conscientious either.

Also, this:

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-riot-arrest-barack-obama-home-3872a7dbbd65605704d9a77f62b6b127

• Members

I was wondering when some Democrats would start playing this game again, because it's always been a vocal element in the party (it's just that starting in the '10s that element was slowly minimized). The '90s greatest hits tour being workshopped on the very same day that Ozempic Ron's grasping wife rolls out a Moms for Liberty ad that is a clarion call for every type of violent transphobia and homophobia out there just makes this sting even more. If they want people to feed into the grifters who spend all their time telling people to stay home rather than vote for Democrats, this is certainly one way to do it.

This is the same line that many dead end Bernie sycophants took in 2019 and 2020 when they kept belittling people who ever questioned Bernie's passivity on social issues (or him going on Rogan).

• Members

Oy, Marjorie Taylor Green and her ex-friends at the House Freedom Caucus can't understand Twitter, and they were already warned about AI from the creator of ChatGPT, imagine them trying to hold a hearing on AI and its effects on employment?

Even ChatGPT's own servers couldn't write a script more absurd than those fools trying to figure out regulations.

• Members

Nate Hochman, who received exquisitely tailored profiles from the likes of New Republic and wrote a big New York Times piece insisting Republicans were now the party of Barstool, has been dumped by the frilly fascist's campaign due to mass layoffs, and also, maybe, possibly, making and sending out anti-Semetic imagery.

https://www.axios.com/2023/07/25/desantis-campaign-video-nazi-symbol-sonnenrad

These figures keep getting laundered in the press but they can never hide who they are.