The Politics Thread

• Members

And if we hit back with actual, proven facts, all they will do is shrug and say, "So what?".  Truth doesn't matter anymore in this country.  This is what we have to celebrate tomorrow.  It's disgusting.

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Like approximately 60-70% of the country, I will be watching Stranger Things 3.

It is to my endless delight that this debacle with tanks, etc. may end up being rained out or flooded due to gale winds and storms. That's my hometown!

But they have done a lot of that, within their power. They broke him on the shutdown. And Trump just failed on the census issue. Is it perfect, of course not. But there has been a real fight. It's far from hopeless, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. You can't be shocked and demoralized day after day, because that's how they wear you down. But there has been real movement in terms of Trump's numbers eroding, and the endless investigations driving him mad. I'd like impeachment too, but it's not time yet and in the meantime, it's important to keep grinding him down.

Meanwhile, in a moment of national pride:

Edited by Vee

• Members

The news about Bernie's drop in the polls doesn't surprise me.  With the Democratic Party co-opting more and more of his ideas (such as they are, lol), the luster that surrounded "Bernie, the Outsider" three years ago is starting to fade.  Plus, I'm hoping that voters on the left are catching onto the idea that maybe, just maybe, there isn't much difference between Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump after all.

But, as always, it's still early, and it's still anyone's ballgame.

Make no mistake, the Trump administration WILL get its' precious citizenship question on the Census.  They'll just have to be more...creative about it.  I'm as certain of that as I am about anything else.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I watched a very glib and incredibly smug video from the New York Times about how America isn't anything that good. You could feel the sneer through your monitor, as well as the classism (in ranking a "#1" lists that we're meant to be alarmed by, they have "watching TV" right between drug abuse and school shootings).

They don't get to give lectures about how much they hate America. A racist, anti-gay, sexist paper that led us to war with big grins on their faces, headed up by someone who still enables Trump and his family and cohorts at every turn. No. They are the worst of America. I don't want to see them wag their finger in judgment. They are a stain on this country, and always have been.

If Trump does one thing of value while he is in office, it will be if he drives these papers into the dust. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Justin Amash, Trump critic and impeachment advocate, is quitting the GOP. He likely knew he was going to lose a primary anyway, so I assume this is for attention and he won't be running for reelection. Either way, get ready for our "liberal" media friends to hump their desks as they can dust off old scripts about Principled Republicans.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/04/politics/justin-amash-leaving-gop/index.html

• Members

ICAM.  It always makes me laugh when I read or hear the media complain that the administration is attacking their institution.  "Well, of course, he is," I think, "but you wouldn't BE in the position that you're in if you hadn't legitimized and normalized his campaign!".  They dug this hole for America, but they forgot to dig one for themselves as well.

• Members

I know a few people had some questions on busing and what it meant culturally to integrate schools.  This late 70s documentary (that shows up every few years on PBS) narrated by Bill Moyers about a black family integrating a Queens, NY neighborhood might shed further light on what this entails.