Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Of course, the big dummy would be ignorant as to whether a weak dollar or a strong one benefits the U.S. economy- that has a lot to do with trade, something for which he seems to have a very unrealistic notion of how it operates. I wonder how much his father "contributed" to the Wharton School of Business in order to take him. 

So ironic that Trump was always trying to diminish President Obama's credentials when Trump himself is as ignorant as the day is long!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/02/elizabeth-warren-coretta-scott-king-jeff-sessions

If Democrats have anything to be thankful for it's that Republicans keep screwing up like this.  Silencing Elizabeth Warren makes them looks so weak and pathetic. Plus it shows that they are afraid of the simple truth about some of their nominees.

• Members

Besides having someone in the WH who is utterly ignorant on what having a weak dollar vs. a strong one means for the general economy, here's more disturbing news for anyone who still thinks the Orange Menace will be a boon to the U.S. economy.

Of course, in the scheme of things a booming stock market can often mean very little for everyday Americans but having a failing one definitely portends worse financial times for everybody.

• Members

The bottom line is financial markets don't like instability. The stock market jumped now because everyone is thrilled at the idea of the upcoming cash grab but it's pretty inevitable that the bottom will fall out because - say it with me - Republicans always screw up the economy.

• Members

For all the talk about Dem messaging, I feel like this is one that we keep missing and we need to keep it simple. Republicans. Always. Screw Up. The Economy. Always. The last time Repubs had the White House and Congress we got the Great Depression. Reagan gave us Black Monday in 1987. W gave us the crash of 2007. Red states all over the country are disasters: Brownback's Kansas "experiment" is an unmitigated failure, Walker helped drive Wisconsin to the bottom of job creation, Ohio's well on its way to a recession thanks to Kasich.

Republicans always screw up the economy.

• Members

Why is that?  Does it have to do with trickle-down economics?  Because, it seems to me that cutting taxes for the wealthy doesn't guarantee that the wealthy will spend more in order to boost the economy overall.  If anything, I think the wealthy stay wealthy (or become even wealthier) because they don't spend.

• Members

Trickle down doesn't work. Never has been proven to. In 2010 and 2011 when the economy was still slowly recovering, Corporations and the Wealthiest 1% were shown to have more cash in the bank than ever and not spending it. Corporations were not investing and creating jobs nor were the wealthiest 1%. It sounds great in theory but has never been proven.  We live in a consumer driven economy. One thing my brother and I disagreed on were the George W Bush taxcuts where there was a rebate provided to individual tax payers. Was it a good idea? Maybe not because it generated a false boom and sense of security that didn't really exist. But there is also no proof that giving corporations the rebate versus consumers would have magically created jobs as my brother claimed.

The stock market is booming now because of all the deregulation happening or that is going to happen. But as @Marceline said what the stock market likes most is stability and steady growth. Harding and Hoover led to the depression, Reagan led to the Savings and Loan debacle and the crash of 1987, George W Bush led to bailouts needed for Wall Street to keep us from sinking into a depression. Next time it happens I doubt there will be any bailout and like 1929 even the rich bankers will go broke