OLTL: Open Letter to High ABC Exec, Fron's Boss, Protests Todd/Marty Story

• Members

In an Open Letter, Marlena De Lacroix (under her real name) writes to Anne Sweeney, (Frons' boss) Co-Chair, Disney Media Networks and President, Dianey-ABC Television strongly protesting the Todd/Marty redux story. She knows from letters sent to her many longtime viewers hate this misogynistic, disgusting story, especially women. Why was this story, which especially offends women, okayed by Sweeney (a woman)?

Come lend your support!

Marlena/Connie P.

http://www.marlenadelacroix.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I applaud you writing this. While I have found this week and last excellent in terms of the writing and fallout for the characters, and the show's willingness to say outright that Todd has raped Marty again, I still feel this storyline was overall wholly unnecessary, especially in terms of the sex. That element at least was exploitation, and it was marketed as such, up til the end last week. That's unacceptable, particularly if OLTL plans another rape trial.

• Members

I'm so sick of this debate. It happened. It was lame. Both Susan and Trevor deserved better.

I think it was interesting that Ron tried to do something controversial, which I haven't seen on any soap in a long time. But he failed miserably because it wasn't groundbreaking at all. It's been done. And like someone said in another thread, Marty shouldn't have returned, especially not for this. That storyline was so dead in the water. To revisit it is pure laziness. It's not as if any of the characters will learn from her coming back from the dead. It's not as if her death was a huge cliffhanger that warranted her return. Ramsey is dead. All those people who were associated with him and the crash are obsolete. Why in the world did Todd devise this plan in the first place? To get back at John for dating Blair? That seems like something Dorian would do, not Todd.

I would've liked to have seen Cole continue to deal with his grief over losing both of his parents. Ron should've put Langston and Cole together because of that. Why was that cut short so abruptly? I would've liked to have seen John and Blair find each other and make each other better. Then come to realize that they wouldn't work out because it just wouldn't.

I would've liked to have seen Starr deal with her pregnancy as a teen and how she'd give it away as well.

None of these people are realistic anymore. Even when Todd was on a rampage after Starr last year, his motivation was very human. Now, no one's doing anything for any valid, blatant reason.

That's why this story is failing.

And don't get me started on the Bess mess. WTF??

• Members

GREAT letter, Marlena!!!! And I just love how you are sending it to Fron's boss and not Frons himself.

And also, now all the blame for this Marty/Todd story lies on Ron, but I feel alot of this wouldn't have happened if Gary Tomlin hadn't thrown out almost every storyline that Ron was setting up.

Archived