Y&R: Week of November 3, 2008

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The casting for the French waiter was convincible, I'm so glad we have a new Casting Director, she has proven herself in regards to the day players so far. Remember that awful "French" ex-boyfriend that Karen Rea cast earlier in the year?

Jeanne Cooper just amazes me with the energy and focus she has at her age for portraying two very different characters.

So, Paris begins tomorrow, I can't wait!

WORD.

The spoilers made it sound as if it was going to be some random incident. It also ties in nice into Kay's memoury lapses.

• Members

Re the Fisher/Baldwins..

Michael should not be a lead. Not saying he should NEVER be a lead, ebcause when they firt put him into lead it was great and i wish soaps would push supporting into lead more often, the problem is when his lead storyline was over he should had have gone back to being a supporting, even minor for a bit. ya know, rotation, but they didnt do that and its become too much. his hammy acting doesnt help either, and im not saying its bad because it does work for the char, but its just tooooo much.

Lauran is the perfect person to pair michael with. It just worked. the romance, the snakrness, the fun loving couple and then they became a real full on emotional couple without losing who they were. Then they brought on Gloria and threw all that out the window.

Gloria, who i love, needs to be backburned for a good long time right now. But that wont happen i fear.

And kevin, he can go. hes so pointless now.

then there is eden. ugh.

• Members

I thought CLB was fantastic yesturday. He killed it on every level. I had tears in my eyes because you saw the little boy coming out of him when he confronted his mother about his betrayl and what her betrayl lead to in meaing terriable Tom. I was like dam emmy worthy stuff yesturday.

• Members

Michael's outburst at Gloria was the first time CLB has really conjured up any emotion in a long time and JC was just amazing with her teary reaction to Michael. I totally agree that Gloria and River's scene was pure magic, they really did make me feel touched, which I never thought I'd say.

I'm with everybody concerning Jeanne Cooper's fantastic turn as Kay and Marge. I was hesitant of how the storyline would be handled, but I have been loving every part of it. The differences between Kay and Marge are outstanding, from that subtle change in accent that Marge has, to the way she carries herself, talks, gestures. So different, so juicy. My only little problem with this is the... nails! Yep, I am annoyed that Marge has the same nails that Kay has :lol: Although I do remember the writers excusing it by saying that Marge got her nails fixed.

Anyway, loved how Kay's lapses worked with the Marge Storyline and Kevin. I am completely hooked, I can't wait to see what happens next.

And Phyllis had another one of her fantasies! :lol:

• Members

How is Michael a lead? He is ranked 15th in appearances this year (over 50 episodes less that Eric, Josh, Melody and over 30 less that Peter, Judith etc) LML turned him into supporting and he has been kept there since the start or 2006. He rarely leads his own story. He is only used to support other characters and the writers throw him a great scene a couple times of year to keep him pacified. The lead of the Baldwin-Fisher family is Gloria. Even Jeffrey and Kevin have more episodes than Michael this year. Christian was lead under Jack Smith in 2004 and 2005, but ever since his wedding to Lauren he has been supporting.

As far as rotation, this year and even last was all Newman all the time and a heavy dose of the quad. In 2007, the bulk of Michael's appearances were as Phyllis' lawyer and to help Gloria and Kevin out of their legal and personal messes. Michael languished on the backburner all of this year until September when they ramped up his father story that is quickly being turned into yet another Gloria story. What other story has he led? The last real Lauren and Michael story was the Phyllis as Sheila story which lasted all of 6 weeks in January/early Feb 2007 and was turned into a vehicle for Michelle Stafford. It blew my mind that LML turned a decades old Lauren story into a vehicle for MS and focused on Phyllis' anger and retribution against Michael and Lauren because her and her miracle child was put in danger for a day. Not one episode was devoted to how Lauren felt about killing her archnemesis. Since that story, Michael has been nothing but a lawyer for his family and Phyllis, Victor and the Winters. Lauren is nothing but support for Michael.

I totally agree with you about Lauren and Michael as a couple. They were a fantastic pairing full of intelligence, wit, romance, and fun with a touch of snark and now they just talk about Michael and his family's issues. Any intimacy they share is not written for them but put in with little touches from the actors. The writers rarely write them any romance and when they do get a rare romantic scene it appears to be a rule that they must be interrupted within 30 secs. I think they have also sufferred because of the need to prop all things Phick. Anything they had that should be special (wedding night, pregnancy, child) has been overshadowed by the incessant propping of Phick and in her first year miracle child, Summer.

The writers put so little effort into Michael and Lauren's relationship and they probably won't until they decide to break them up. I think they like to use Lauren as the stabling force for the entire family and the touch stone for Michael which is fine but in the process Lauren has lost almost all of her identity. They could have added her to the Restless Style story (hmmm, someone who actually is involved in the fashion industry) or shown her dealing with the current financial crisis and its effect on her stores, but they don't bother. Apparently they have too many stories to write for the Newmans and the quad.

• Members

Does Tracey Bregman want to work everyday for a full-time storyline, as she wants to be on recurring with the show? I can understand why TPTB might be hesitant to give her front-burner material consistently when they don't have her under contract, even if Tracey is very committed to the show.

Why is she so against signing a contract? It's not like she's acting on much else outside of Y&R...

Archived