October 13-17, 2008

Toups

• Members

I think in this climate? Those ARE the better numbers, Alvin.

I hate to think this way, but I wonder if this oncoming economic train wreck and loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs over the next year will have any effect at all. More women might end up home again... but on the other hand, there are a lot of other things to watch on TV in the afternoon besides soaps. If the soaps were SMART though, they'd take this opportunity to ratchet up their writing and deliver some quality stuff. Not to make light of the unemployed, but if more people lose their jobs in the near future, this might be the time for daytime to step up and deliver.

Oh, who am I kidding. LOL!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really want all 6 of them gone but if we can only choose 1 I will have to take a tie and say Zach & Kendall. I am so tired of both of them. I am so looking forward to Kendall's short break. If only Zach would go with her.

===================================================

Awww to bad you don't like them. who DO you like? :)

As much as many want Babe gone, I want them gone.

===========================

I understand. :)

For years now the show has revolved around Babe, Kendall & Greenlee. I am just on overkill of those 3.

==============================================

Hooker Babe is overkill!!! For 5 yrs! UGH! :)

• Members

Exactly. :lol:

The American soap industry is a lost cause to me. I've been much more drawn to my UK soaps these days, and I haven't looked back one bit. Just the past week on Hollyoaks, for example, was better than anything I've probably seen on US soaps in the past 5 years or so.

Feels like I'm having an emotional affair with serials from other parts of the globe, and it has me questioning just why soaps in the US can't be as consistently good. Needless to say, I get my serialistic storytelling satisfaction elsewhere, and I know the US soap industry will never fulfill me again. But that's just me, the pessimistic outlook hasn't proved me wrong about the state of American daytime serials in the last decade, so I too will continue on with it.

• Members

I agree. Some storylines on soaps are crap. IMO, the Bianca/Zach/baby storyline is awful. I understand that there is going to be drama, conflict, and mistakes made by people on soaps, but this storyline is garbage. If the writers wanted to have Zach have a child outside of his marriage, they could have written a better storyline than this. They didn't have to have him create a baby with Bianca, for a pretty superficial reason like Miranda needing a more closely related sibling, And Zach agreeing to do so because a yet to be seen Reese is "cool" :rolleyes:

Nevermind that Zach stuggled for years with the fact that he didn't raise Ethan and he regretted not being apart of Ethan's life and how that helped define his views on raising kids, and helped influence some of the choices that's he's made. Zach was so upset over Ethan's death, and the fact that he hadn't been a good father to him that he contemplated suicide. He was also afraid to be a father to Ian, when he first found out about Kendall's pregnancy.

But he has no problem with donating his sperm for Bianca and her "cool" girlfriend, for a child that he may not be an involved father to? IMO, That's ridiculous. This whole Zach and Bianca storyline goes a lot against what Zach has demonstrated that he believes in during the past few years, but I guess Pratt thought it was a good idea, so that Zach could have "something to do" while Kendall is in a coma for a while, and so that this can be apart of Bianca's storyline before ER possibly bails again in a few months.

IMO, Zach and Bianca's reaction to this whole thing is ridiculous and disgusting. They either don't realize what they did was a betrayal or don't care that they betrayed Kendall and they are both acting like a couple in love that just had a baby together. Bianca referred to Zach as the baby's daddy, mentioned that the baby "needs" him and says that he has a "say so" in naming her. Is Zach going to be just the sperm donor or he is going to be "Uncle Daddy Zach"? :huh: And I really think that Pratt might try and make Kendall the bad guy in this situation to try and maintain Bianca's sainthood status and to try and make Zach look better. But if he does try to do this, I don't think it's going to work for a lot of the viewers.

IMO, the Zach/Bianca/baby storyline is the worst storyline on AMC. Other than that the show is decent overall. I like the Jesse storyline and IMO, that storyline makes more sense and is considerably less ridiculous than the Zach/Bianca one. It makes sense that Jesse had another family while he was away from Angie and Frankie for twenty years. Also, Jesse is actually showing believeable emotions over his situation, (instead of sitting around smirking and smiling like Bianca and Zach are) about the fact that he kept a big secret from his family. His storyline is actually interesting and IMO, is an example of decent conflict, not ridiculous garbage.

• Members

I'm not surprised at the numbers. The advertising did bring in viewers, almost 200k over Wednesday, and did bring in a slight jump in the ratings. You cant expect a large jump in ratings these days. Next week ratings release for this week will show the true effect this storyline had on the ratings. This week contained the fall out from last week and had more tornados and destruction. I think next week will show an even greater increase, might even put AMC back into the 2's (Not saying 2.5, more along the realistic lines of 2.0-2.2) It's great that ABC put money into promotion but when you look at the networks they advertised on, Nickelodeon, MTV, etc, they were going for a younger demographic with the advertisement. They should have gone to networks like Lifetime, Bravo, FX, etc to reach the older demographic that probably watched AMC years ago and would have tuned back in.

• Members

Hi Jack, I think you are right about the younger demo... But I predict a 1.9 or 2.0 for this week simply because after that nice jump on Thursday last week the show dropped down to 2.0 on Friday. People were not interested in tuning back in the next day during this storyline? Not a good sign. 2.2 for AMC or OLTL seems like an impossibility at this point. Sadly. I predict that this tornado storyline will have no effect on AMC's ratings at all, and the show will be back to 1.8's and 1.9's in November.

It seems with ABC in particular, the fans DO NOT COME BACK. GH has a little more luck than the other two. And it seems ATWT and DAYS get random sizeable increases every now and then...

• Members

I like Jesse & Angie; Tad (of course loved Tad & Dixie); Jackson & Erica; Adam; Stuart & Marian; so far like Frankie & Randi; Ryan & Annie; Bianca; and so far really liking Pete & Colby.

I have a few other faves on the show. None of the couples or anything on there right now are my absolute die hards have to be together couples or anything.

Tad is my favorite AMC character of all time.

Tad & Dixie, Brooke & Edmund, Clff & Nina are my all time favorite couples on AMC.

There are only 2 couples in daytime (Steve & Alice of AW and Doug & Julie of Days) that I could ever say I was fan base crazy for. But even with them I also learned to love protagonist couples in the mix. I was a big fan of Steve & Rachel together as well as Doug & Addie on Days. I am often bad about stuff like that. I will like one couple big time but can also fall in love or give the protagonist couple a chance. For instance I was a big John & Kate fan on Days. Even with Phil & Tara who I was a big fan for I loved Chuck & Tara together and even Phil & Erica together.

Today most fans won't even give the protagonist a chance at all. I really fear for Bianca in this story. She is one of my favorite AMC characters just like Dixie was and we know what happened to Dixie when McTavish brought her into Zach & Kendall's world. I know taht not every Zendell fan wanted Dixie dead, but across the Internet there were many that did. Some even posted long post on teh day that Dixie died so overjoyed that she could never come between Zach & Kendall again. And AMC is said to have gotten many letters wanting Dixie gone. I think AMC honestly felt she was expendable.

Similar things happened with the black girl on ATWT who was coming between Will & Gwen. She was a great character and could have been an even better character but she wasn't given a chance. If the attitude of the modern fan had been carried back to the 1960's and 1970's, I wonder if characters like Rachel Davis on AW or Erica Kane on AMC would have even survived. At first their total purposes were to be protagonists in the super couple's way. It would be interesting to see what would have happened to them.

I love a show to ahve a lot of couples that I can get into and root for. All the soaps used to be like that and it seems to me that is what Pratt is going back to.

During the 70's, Agnes Nixon often focused on several couples: Mona and Charles; Phil & Tara or Chuck & Tara; Jeff & Mary; Joe & Ruth; Ann & Nick or Ann & Paul; Linc & Kitty - all those were couples on the show at the same time and got lots of air time each. Then later after Jeff & Mary played out she added Jeff & Christina, Frank & Nancy, and Chuck and Donna to the mix. All those were still playing out and she added Tom/Erica, Dan/Brooke and Wally/Devon to the mix. Of course Linc/Kitty was replaced by Linc/Kelly by that time.

All the other shows were in the same mold. There were many stories that went along as well - soemtimes overcrossing one another.

The way they wrote, they could focus on big stories 2 or 3 days a week and then other stories less often. The viewer never got bored with things because there was a lot going on. Now they try to focus on the same people and often the same story 5 days a week and you get bored with it because it is on all the time plus nothing ever seems to happen.

• Members

I like Jesse & Angie; Tad (of course loved Tad & Dixie); Jackson & Erica; Adam; Stuart & Marian; so far like Frankie & Randi; Ryan & Annie; Bianca; and so far really liking Pete & Colby.

=============================================

Wow you had a lot to say hehehehe.. Yeah I love Tad and Dixie!! I love Palmer and Daisey. Daisey is the love of Palmer's life and vice versa. :)

During the 70's, Agnes Nixon often focused on several couples: Mona and Charles; Phil & Tara or Chuck & Tara; Jeff & Mary; Joe & Ruth; Ann & Nick or Ann & Paul; Linc & Kitty - all those were couples on the show at the same time and got lots of air time each. Then later after Jeff & Mary played out she added Jeff & Christina, Frank & Nancy, and Chuck and Donna to the mix. All those were still playing out and she added Tom/Erica, Dan/Brooke and Wally/Devon to the mix. Of course Linc/Kitty was replaced by Linc/Kelly by that time.

===================================================

Yeah love the past characters. I love Chuck and Donna. :)

• Members

That's a whole different issue. AMC's Baby Rabies is ridiculous. One of the things I was noticing over the last few episodes is just how many children this show has running around. IMHO way too many. Little A, Emma, Jenny, Kathy, Spike, Ian and now we're about to add Miranda and new baby to the mix. Enough with the kids already. I would've preferred that Bianca had come back without all the baby drama but that seems to be a requirement of Frons. Knock 'em up and pop 'em out.

• Members

AMC is so awesome right now!

I think its been about 2-3 years for me since I remember getting so hyped to see the next episode. All of the people that I know that watch AMC even say its good. If you think its bad right now then you're either lying to yourself and you have major issues.

AMC deserves to get a huge bump in the ratings. I honestly don't think were going to see a bump for October 13-17, but the week after we will. The tornado only took place on Thursday and Friday so that means the days before that dragged the potential rating and viewership numbers down.

Does anybody know if DAYS has been signed past March 2009?

I can't see DAYS not knowing its fait right now as I heard it was signed through March 2010 before.

• Members

Sorry, there won't be a big bump next week either. There are some who find AMC's writing to be lame and disgusting. I tune in to see good writing and I'm still waiting for it to happen.

Sorry, there won't be a big bump next week either. There are some who find AMC's writing to be lame and disgusting. I tune in to see good writing and I'm still waiting for it to happen.

• Members

I don't think it's good right now and I'm not lying to myself. I may have issues though, we all do, lol.

Unpopular opinion, at least at SON. This has been Pratt's worse week to date (10/20). I saw these spoilers and broke them down and felt that this could be some really good s**t. Bianca/Zach/Baby, it's a bad storyline for shock value (and possible homosexual storyline avoidance) but it could have been passable with good writing. The writing has been atrocious and that spills into the Kendall coma story. Angie and Frankie's reaction to Jesse's reveal has been meh (until today). Jake meh (until today). Their best work has been in the Babe storyline, and I'd just give that a B. Some style, and little susbtance. The scenes are all so chopped up.

There is no excuse for how weakly they put together this week on the side of substance, it should have been incredible and it read pretty good but none of that really came across on the screen. I felt like instead of wisely crafting this week, Pratt was a kid in a candy store that got greedy and grabbed everything and just swallowed and swallowed without thinking. I thought Pratt was better than this (I liked at least 50% of what he was doing before this) and maybe after the tornado stuff dies down we'll see substance and quality again (their was some improvement today), but this week made me lose faith in both AMC and Pratt for the time being. I was very disappointed.

AMC may go up 200,000 next week (for this week) for all I know, but IMO they don't deserve it.

The ratings, thanks for AMC's numbers Toups. It's striking to me that people saw the tornado starting at the end of Thursday's episode but didn't come back for the actual tornados the next episode. Friday is typically a bad day, but soaps can and do go up on that day.

Archived