KateW

Any Capitol Fans Here?

Did you ever notice that a signature of the Conboy producing style is a tracking shot through an archway into a rich family's cream and beige living room?  It is as if the audience is eve dropping on the action.  I know he was neither a set decorator nor a director but, there were definitely similarities across his shows.   Looking at the daily opening scenes of Capitol and SB, the Clegg's and the Capwell's both had the same shot.

Certainly, noticed it mostly on Capitol at the Cleggs', they loved to do a shot through the wrought iron in the foyer into the living room. Lots of shots through carafes and decanters as well. Not sure if this was done on LIAMST, but Y&R definitely gets credited for pioneering this under Conboy. I noticed shots like these on Y&R in the mid-'90s when I first started watching regularly when he was long gone.

The Clegg mansion has got to be one of the largest soap private home sets ever, and without question, one of the most stunning and iconic. Had the show lasted, I can't imagine how they could've updated it without ruining it. It's such a perfect moment in time, and I would have loved to see it go on virtually unchanged.

13 hours ago, SFK said:

Certainly, noticed it mostly on Capitol at the Cleggs', they loved to do a shot through the wrought iron in the foyer into the living room. Lots of shots through carafes and decanters as well. Not sure if this was done on LIAMST, but Y&R definitely gets credited for pioneering this under Conboy. I noticed shots like these on Y&R in the mid-'90s when I first started watching regularly when he was long gone.

The Clegg mansion has got to be one of the largest soap private home sets ever, and without question, one of the most stunning and iconic. Had the show lasted, I can't imagine how they could've updated it without ruining it. It's such a perfect moment in time, and I would have loved to see it go on virtually unchanged.

They made great use of the stairway, including the top landing. The Clegg home was practically a character in its own right. The bedrooms were exquisite, as well as Dylan's quarters. Nothing cheap about any of it. The sets for the McCandless home and Kelly's place were equally stunning, and they found perfect exteriors to go with the studio interiors. Everything was classy. Even the hospital sets had an extra flair we don't see on other soaps.

Edited by JarrodMFiresofLove

2 hours ago, JarrodMFiresofLove said:

The Clegg home was practically a character in its own right.

Myrna's bathroom with the sunken tub, telephone, and turban closet were iconic.