Should Sri Rao took over GH from Guza?

• Members

I have to say Night Shift part 2 a major improvement due to the wonderful talents of Sri Rao. His vision was so much about what GH is about then Guza's disgusting mob fest. I would love to see Sri Rao and Liza DeCazotte go over to GH as the new GH team. Their vision for NS is exactly what GH should be about.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ITA! The show is must-see for me. The character driven stories are classic GH, and the use of vets is great. I love how even though it focuses on doctors, there are core families - the Scorpios, the Julians and the Cates family. I hope that Sri Rao continues to work his magic on the show for another few seasons, or that he takes over GH and saves it!

• Members

I agree Sylph, not at all. Rao is great for Night Shift, but I'd rather a Val Jean/Harris team replace Guza.

I also find something incredibly contrived and flat about Rao's writing, but as I said, it works for Night Shift. No one knows how he'd handle a daily soap opera, because he's never had any experience in that field.

Rao would perhaps be a better story consultant for GH, once Val Jean and Harris take over though. :)

• Administrator

Hell yes!! He is new blood and loves GH and is a long time GH viewer and respect its history. I think Sri will give GH its heart and warmth back. But since he would be new to daytime, you have to pair him up with a veteran writer. Since he and Karen Harris know each other, they would be a perfect team. I love Michele Val Jean too. So any combo of Sri/Karen/Michele would be awesome.

• Members

I know what you are saying...but I really attribute that to the weekly format, and the need to cram in so much story.

Always so absolute :). In a relative sense, Sri Rao and team's GH:NS is miles better (for me) than the daytime version. I frequently (2-3 nights a week, at least in the summer) turn on GH in the evenings on Soapnet. And I frequently last 5 minutes or less. NS is more emotionally compelling, relatable. And, as a lapsed GH viewer, Night Shift also features more faces from the past that "draw me back" (Robin, Scorpio, Jagger).

No one would suggest that Rao should work alone. Which leads to Toups' post....

The first thing you need is a new pathfinder...someone to find a different thread of emotion and story and link to history. Guza's vision is simply offputting.

Rao has the benefit of being "practiced", having had a tryout.

Honestly, if daytime made sense, Rao would be appointed as Guza's apprentice (co-HW), _and_ given some liberty to shape the direction of the show. Eventually, Guza would step aside, and Rao would be able to stand on his own.

Sadly, egos usually stop productive successions like this. Only the Bell organization tried to to arrange orderly succession...of course, that wasn't honored on one show.

I can say, as someone with no agenda, Night Shift is more immediately appealing, feels more like a 'soap", and the storytelling is much less driven by sensational and violent plots. I daresay the actors on Night Shift look a lot happier too.

• Members

Do you like more action-oriented stuff?

Do "conversations" on soaps bore you? I'm asking sincerely. Because I do think Sri is more "relationship driven". But so was Claire Labine...and she also got canned eventually.

I think there is a big segment of the soap audience that needs STUFF happening all the time. For me, the "stuff" causes mental tuneout...and then I get bored.

• Members

There was this one episode, where two lovers were separated by Cystic Fibrosis and a virus...and it was really riveting, IMO. It played as a kind of "example" for Robin and Patrick, and how they needed to grab their chances to be together NOW...because illness could lurk around the corner. It was really quite nice.

I also liked Ryan the kidney donor, and his business in the hospital.

I don't know...it works for me. But this conversation illustrates how hard it will be to replace Guza and not alienate at least some of his fans.

Archived