GH Discussion, Week of Sept. 1st-5th

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL, the irony is, I was actually somewhat OK with hearing that Laura Wright would be taking over the role of Carly. The fact is, though, while she is a professional and accomplished soap actress, her Snarly is a braying, entitled, bullying cheerleader. There is no nuance, no chink of vulnerability, no humor, no depth. Just hardness and snappity-snap line delivery.

The other problem -- and this is not Laura Wright's fault -- is that Snarly is the "centerpiece" of the whole show. She and Jason are on all the time. We're meant to root for them. At least Jason's dialogue is kept to a minimum. Watching that blonde blowhard "kick ass and take names loudly" while everybody tells us how brave/strong she is, what a great mother she is (!) and how she loves with her whole heart? Ugh. I just can't.

• Members

^^ Again, didn't say that. Scroll back to page 1 to check out David E Smith's amazing post (and my over-long response to it). It sets out everything that's gone wrong with this emotionally bankrupt show. It's not just one character (if it were, we should all be talking about Sonny's role here). It is everything.

Carly and Laura Wright were not mentioned until somewhat later in the thread. Yes, I brought her up and yes, I dislike her portrayal of Carly. Not because she's not a proficient actress -- LW is very competent and has screen presence. However, the character is cruel (especially to other women) and smug and well past her sell-by date. But I know that the blame for that -- for EVERYTHING on this show -- lies squarely at the feet of the IIC.

Souless, misogynistic, ugly show. That's why I'm not watching it anymore. JMO.

• Members

How?

Well if a person HATES one character, and that said character is on EVERYDAY and said character is tied to EVERY main character on the show...than yes it is possible for one character to make a whole show unwatchable for that person.

I hate Carly, plain and simple....and a huge part of that reason is because of LW's portrayal of her. LW isn't a bad actress, she was good as Cassie, but she just sucks as the one-note shrew that is Carly.

Archived