Unpopular Opinions

• Members

OLTL

Not sure how unpopular but.....Todd & Evangeline were on the brink of something amazing, the one couple DH did right by during her tenture was Tangeline. I hate to say this but with DH her build up to their kiss was pure soap romance and I applaud her for that. The slow build was reminiscint to the days when writers actually took their time with couples and built a foundation for them rather than simply throwing them together in contrived situations and random meetings (yes Im talking about you RC and the couplings of Blair & John AND Gigi & Rex). Not sure if it was all her doing (I doubt it) but with no proof to the contrary I'll credit her with Tangeline.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I largely loved Gottlieb/Malone/Griffith's OLTL but I will agree some of the dialogue was attrocious

" I think the gang rape storyline was essentially the same formula as a misogynistic Megan McTavish rape story (bad girl who's been on the show for about a nanosecond gets punished and simultaneously gains sympathy from the audience by being raped, and then sees the error of her ways and becomes a heroine)."

Meh that's a soap staple from WAY WAY back--in the 60s Lisa on One Life to Live was a villainess essentially till she was pulled into a truck and raped by several men--almost entirely just to get audiences to sympathize with her. Marty's story did deal with some aspects that soaps hadn't before, and I wouldn't call it remotely misogynistic--plus having one of the least liked characters attacked did add a lot of drama.,

"I actually think the stuff I've seen from Malone's work around 1995 or so showed improvement and perhaps an increased understanding of the genre than his earlier work. Viki's DID seemed like a classic soap story with a few new, groundbreaking twists. [...] "

Perhaps but by 1996 it was awful--around when Griffith left I believe (showing once again Malone really can't control a soap without his help)--the Irish mob storyline mess, etc,. bah

• Members
QUOTE (DeliaIrisFan @ Aug 1 2008, 11:05 AM)
I have never seen the appeal of the Bell shows. Female characters whose lives revolve around getting/keeping men; everyone having lots of money; beautiful people who may or may not have the talent to match; dialogue that is either ridiculously melodramatic or clunky plot exposition...so many of the negative stereotypes that people have of soap operas. I also think that Y&R raising the stakes on production values in daytime in the 70s may have been a factor in the downfall of the genre similar to what Gloria Monty did at GH that was previously mentioned - which I also agree with. Jacking up the production costs may have led to increased attention from the networks as to how that money is being spent, and increased anxiety about ratings because more ad revenue is needed to turn a profit from producing these shows. The Bells more than anyone (with John Conboy) moved soaps away from the world of theater to the world of movies - and not just geographically.

Agreed, especially witht helast comment about movies vs theatre. That said both shows started with poor, important families--they just got phased out.

• Members

Days

*I haven't liked Days since Reilly wrote for it in the late 90s

*The character of Chloe should never have been brought back

*After 20 something years Drake is still as awful as he was on day 1

*Deidra Hall couldn't touch a candle to Eileen Davidson's acting during the days of J/M/K

Passions

*I wish that Passions had another writer other than Reilly (weird considering my comment above)

*Still feel that Shuis were the best couple Passions ever had (and one of my favorites of all time)

*Passions would have been better had it not been the Theresa show

Agreed! :D:D:D

• Members

* I adore Jennifer Gareis and Donna is the only interesting female character on B&B right now.

* Steve Johnson would be more interesting if he lost Kayla and the baby and turned into a bad guy again.

* Michael Malone should return to soaps. He could be great for GL.

* Any show would be lucky to have James Reily as a consultant.

* I love Noelle Beck's Lily.

* Stefano, John and the Dimeras have nothing to offer to DAYS anymore. They should be written out.

* I am in love with TSJ's Todd Manning and I think that he and Marty are the best couple on OLTL.

* ATWT and AMC are rather good these days.

* GL should return to the old format now that the storylines are getting better.

* Max Brady should be recast with Tom Pelhrey.

• Members

I actually agree. JG is not the strongest actress (at all!) but she imbue Donna with a ditzy sweetness that I like.

*hangs head in shame* Agreed. Even though I *loved* Patch & Kayla back in the 80s.

His experience and expertise in soaping up a story is without question. Consulting is fine. HWing is another thing entirely.

I think TSJ is better than Roger Howarth. *hides*

Archived