Unpopular Opinions

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some more unpopular goodness...

General

~ I'm black, but I've rarely "related" with most of the major black families in daytime. No more than I've related to the "white folk" at least. My parents aren't cops nor is my aunt a lawyer (AMC's Fryes), my mother and I aren't doctors and my father still isn't a cop (AMC's Hubbards), my mother still isn't a doctor and my father still isn't a cop (DAYS's Carvers), my mother isn't a lawyer, neither is my cousin and I'm not a cop (ATWT's Griffins), my parents aren't corporate folks involved in the cosmetics industry (Y&R's Winterses), and I'm pretty damn sure my mother isn't some slutty white woman (B&B's Marcus and Donna). Occupations alone, and the things that go along with them (nice homes, nice cars, the cash, etc), are reason enough for me to not relate to any of the above. Hell, my family is a lot more like the one from "Roseanne" than the one from "The Cosby Show."

~ This might be more of an observation than an opinion, but things aren't tea and scones when it comes to soaps in the UK either. All it takes is a look around at some of the UK-based soap boards to see that many of them think that what they have now is utter bullshit compared to what they used to get from their soaps.

~ I take back one of my previous statements, the one about Gloria Monty. Whoever replied to me was right. Her ideas and innovations didn't ruin anything, but the inability for TPTB in soaps to let different thing cohabitate has ruined everything. I think it comes from the writers of soap A seeing that soap B is doing a sci-fi storyline, so soap A's writers are jealous and want to write soap B, but they can't, so they try to make soap A as much like soap B as possible.

~ I cringe every time I hear the word supercouple, even when it's used for real deal supercouples.

~ I'm not in the camp of "everything about today's soaps suck! and everything about soaps 20 years ago was brilliant!"

~ Soaps would do a lot better, I think, if different types could just cohabitate. Have a ridiculously outdated 15 minute soap on in the mornings, then have a sexy, youth soap in the afternoon. Reaching the entire audience means creating a wide spectrum of stuff for us to watch.

• Members

I don't think Y&R was the first soap to have actors who are long on looks and short on everything else, and they certainly aren't the last. The best examples of that on Y&R though were Don Diamont in the mid-1980s and Shemar Moore in the mid-1990s. Those two probably had more gratuitous shirtless scenes than any other actor. Basically the audience were being told "they can't act worth crap so we'll have them take their shirt off at least once a week". To give credit, Shemar Moore improved as an actor during his run. As for Don Diamont, he's still not leading man material.

It's funny how Y&R was seen as revolutionary in the 1970s in terms of production values (sets, lighting, music) and storytelling (emphasis was placed on younger characters), but when I first became a fan in the 1980s (a time when everyone in school loved Days), I got laughed at for liking a show that moms and grandmas watched.

I know some Canadian fans of Another World who watched it from the mid-1970s to the very end. It may not have been a hit Stateside for the last 2 decades it was on, but it was practically an institution north of the border.

A decade ago, Grace Turner was a Brooke-in-training. I actually thought Grace was going to go after Victor when Nick wouldn't leave Sharon for her, but thankfully that didn't happen.

• Members

Disagreed. Sometime after the Blind Nora story (which I loved), Roger as Todd obviously didn't like the role. Part of it was due to, fair enough, being put off by making the character a hero (going to fan meets and hearing "Rape me todd!" etc) but also he just was bored of the role and the soap. Each time he came back I still felt that--some say TSJ seems bored and not to be acting but I see this as part of how he plays the role and I admit I love it. (it's interesting TSJ has a lot of primetime camoes it seems--his recurring role on Dirty Sexy Money, this week he was on Mad men and I suspect he couldbe again)

• Members

It's not across the board true, and is becoming less true with each decade, but I do think there's something to be said that the Hollywood soaps are more likely to hire models or green actors for their looks, compared to New York (partly because they have the Broadway/New York pool to draw from--even with more location shooting and shorter scenes, theatre acting is still more connected to soap acting, to me than film acting just as the writing and directing ideally are too).

Ironically though in many ways in the past decade at least Y&R, seen as such a change in the 70s, now feels like the "soapiest" of soaps--the remaining soap that fits the cliched view of soaps the most (on a superficial level anyway) down to having by far the longest "reaction shots" lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have never found OLTL funny- anytime they try to be intentionally humorous, I never grab the puchline. The funniest time in OLTL's history was when DH was writing- and it was because it was so bad, yet you were still watching.

Archived