The Doctors

• Members

Edelstein was co headwriter with Rita Lakin for about a year and then solo for afew more months.I wonder what the circumstances were that saw him leave? The ratings did dip slightly in 69 so that may have been a motivation or a myriad of other possibilities.

Ira Avery with wife Jane had written Secret Storm for several years and the LIAMST until mid 68.They then divorced I think so this was Ira's first stint working alone.We'll see when Stanley Silverman joins him and how long into 1970 they last before the Pollocks arrive.

\

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes ,sometime in 1970,The Pollocks begin their stint as headwriters.

Here's how the ratings looked around the time of TD eps we are seeing on Retro.

Nielsen Ratings: Week of November 3-November 7, 1969

1. As the World Turns CBS 12.9/44
2. The Edge of Night CBS 10.3/37
3. Another World NBC 9.7/34
*. Search for Tomorrow CBS 9.7/39
5. The Guiding Light CBS 9.3/34
6. Love Is a Many Splendored Thing CBS 8.9/31
7. The Secret Storm CBS 8.5/30
8. Days of Our Lives NBC 8.4/29
*. The Doctors NBC 8.4/31
10. Love of Life CBS 8.2/37
11. General Hospital ABC 8.1/28
12. Dark Shadows ABC 7.3/25
13. Where the Heart Is CBS 6.9/29
14. One Life to Live ABC 6.7/24
15. Bright Promise NBC 4.9/18

At this point the afternoon  schedule was 

1.30 ATWT/Lets Make A Deal/You're Putting Me On

2.00 LIAMST/Dating Game/DOOL

2,30 TGL/Newlywed Game/DRS

3.00 SS/OLTL/AW

3.30 EON/GH/BP

• Members

As Althea's mother popped up again recently, I thought I'd post a scan of a July 1953 Radio TV Mirror article with Florence Williams. She looks very pretty here - I tend to wonder if they aged her up significantly for The Doctors (of course that was 15 years later), the way soaps often did in these years. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm still viewing episodes where Lakin and Edelstein are both billed as the writers, but I'm curious to know what people who are more caught up think of the start of the post-Lakin/post-Edelstein era. I hope the recent lack of posts isn't an indication that the writing change is causing a growing disinterest. (I rarely post because I'm so behind from the currently aired late-'69 shows.)

Also, I was glad to see that Retro is well into December 1969. Minus a few skipped (presumably lost or in poor condition) episodes, they've now aired over 2 years worth of shows and are still going. This is much better than I ever expected when they first started showing the reruns at this time last year.

However good or bad (or both) it turns out to be, I look forward to watching the episodes of the 1970s.

• Members

There have never been a ton of posts here to begin with, because most of the fans here who watched stopped posting at SON for one reason or another. 

I also rarely post for the same reason as you.

At Daytime Royalty, where there is more active posting, many are unhappy with current stories, and struggle to watch.

• Members

That makes sense.

Even the Lakin/Edelstein combo has a somewhat different tone than solo Lakin, so I can imagine that solo Edelstein and post-Edelstein will take a little getting used to. (Although, Dark Shadows fan that I am, I'm looking forward to when I reach the point where Virginia Vestoff begins as Althea.)

Still, getting to watch this show evolve with the turnover in writers will be an interesting aspect of viewing these reruns, especially since it's all new to me. So I remain interested and will stay with the series through the highs and lows for as long as Retro is willing to keep going.

• Members

I enjoy coming here to see what folks are sharing and discussing and check in daily, but I spend a lot more time now discussing things about TD over on Facebook in "THE DOCTORS Soap Opera (1963-82)" group. Though it's a closed group, we are a welcoming bunch and will let in pretty much anyone who asks because of interest in the show! People are sharing links to video uploads of the same-day aired episodes, old magazine articles, and plenty of intelligent and humorous conversation! If you crave regular discussion about the show, find us there!

• Members

I didn't care for Edelstein's solo stint. There was an intelligence to Lakin's writing that I found missing when Edelstein was at the helm. Edelstein also didn't seem interested in writing for characters like Liz and Jody Lee (who seemed to be favorites while Lakin was head writer). I'm curious to see where Avery goes with the characters and stories. As for the lack of posts here, I think it has to do with the changes in the board design. I noticed a real drop off in posts after they rolled out the new board design about a month ago.