The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Not only the wedding, but the great eps that lead up to the wedding - Nick's proposal and Althea's acceptance, telling Penny and their friends, meeting with the minister, the bridal shower/bachelor party (well, Nick, Matt and Ed going out for a night of drinking while the gals have the shower at the Powers home), the big pre-wedding fight, making up, picking out the wedding clothes, the rehearsal, and getting ready on the big day (where Matt, of all people, makes a HUGE gaffe). Then after the wedding, witness Althea and Nick's flight to their Caribbean honeymoon (though why she is wearing a fur hat on a flight to the Bahamas is beyond me), and frolicking on the "beach" (of course, an indoor set with the sound effect of ocean waves piped in).

Also, try to catch the Christmas episode that features just the Fab Four. All four break the fourth wall as Jim Pritchett leads them in wishing the viewers a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, "from all of us at Hope Memorial". Jim Pritchett and Liz Hubbard also sing beautifully when Matt and Althea break into "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear".

Have fun!!! Tons of fun moments can be found in all these episodes.

• Members

In this movie, we get two TD actresses for the price of one - and in the same scene, no less!!! One of them was on the show as this movie was being filmed and the other was between stints. Start at the 30:12 mark and you'll see who I mean:

The world of soaps - both daytime and primetime - are well-represented. Also in this movie are familiar faces like Thaao Penghlis, Barbara Barrie, Julie Harris and Jameson Parker.

• Members

That makes sense as Rita Lakin joined TD in June 67 and in August 68 renegotiated to have Rick Edelstein as co headwriter,each working in 16 week blocks.

In June 69 she got the Mod Squad story editor gig.In Sept she penned her first script on the show, dealing with anti - semitism.

So she was there for 2 years all told.How long Edelstein continues solo and when the next headwriters we'll have to wait and see.

• Members

I'm not exactly sure but it won't be long because Edelstein also left in 1969.

Carl, I had another email today from Maureen (Mooney) Pellegrini aka Gossiping Candy Striper #1/Temp Liz. I sent along the article you asked me to, and made sure to mention that my friend Carl had saved it all that time and wanted her to have it. I also mentioned that you have the Brim commercial she did with Liz Hubbard and that you are searching for it so that she can see it again along with the rest of us. Here's what she said:

"Monika you are too much! This is so much fun. When I get a moment I will send you some things. All the best to you and Carl. I really appreciate all the wonderful clips.

Fondly,

Maureen"

• Members

I wonder if the new writers will be coming by Fall 1969? The only story that seems to be capable of long-term is Althea's psychological blockage. Either that will wrap up by Fall, too, or will carry through to the end of the year? We know Elizabeth Hubbard is gone by the end of '69, but I don't know whether she wraps up the psychological story or if Virginia Vestoff gets to come in and have the big reunion/separation with Nick? The story with Nancy Bennett and Mike Powers is finally moving somewhere and could be wrapped in another 6 weeks, if necessary. Was it the Pollocks who took over as head writers after Rita and Rick? In some ways, things seemed to have slowed story wise and I'm ready for some new energy to be infused into the already good show.

Regarding Maureen Mooney Pellegrini, that is GREAT! Her reaction is what I wish we could get from some of the their surviving cast members who find out we're watching and loving. Obviously, no one living from the cast has been rude, but I like knowing someone is happy that we're into the show again 46 years later!

• Members

Well, it turns out that both Maureen and her daughter saw her episodes and loved them!! Jami Fields was not aware of the reruns until she got my letter, and since then several of her friends are watching and one of them records the episodes for Jami. Carolee Campbell has been watching some of them and I don't know about Liz Hubbard - but she knows the reruns are on and have been well-received. C.C. Courtney, from the email I got from him, seems happy that the reruns are back. Laryssa Lauret and her daughter Lada have been posting on FB about the show. A friend of mine has been in contact with the daughter of Conrad Roberts (Ed Stark), so they are aware of the reruns as well.

Everyone that I've heard from seem stunned yet happy that they have gained a new generation of fans. As Jami herself said in her letter to me, "It's a lot of fun to see the old shows - especially after so many years."

As for the cast members who are no longer with us, I've tried to contact family members (mainly through social media). I look at it like this: if my mom/dad/aunt/uncle/sister/brother/whoever is being seen again on TV reruns, I would sure want to know about it - so that I and the rest of the family and friends could see our loved one again in some form. That's pretty much the experience I had when I emailed Tim Kebbe, the son of Sally Gracie (Martha Allen). I found out that he is a lawyer with his own firm, and emailed him at the address displayed on the firm's website. He has kids of his own, and I'm sure they would love to see their grandma on TV.

If I hear back from anyone else connected with TD, I will let you all know!!

• Members

I found another former cast member - but he is not yet in the reruns we are seeing, but comes on in 1970 so we should be seeing him sooner rather than later. The character of Rico Bellini followed in his uncle Nick's footsteps and became a doctor, and the first actor to play him, Richard Niles, also goes by "Doctor" now. Actually, he is a Ph.D. - a theatre professor at Marymount Manhattan College, where he has been since 1990. I wanted to know if the professor and the actor were one in the same, so I emailed him and asked. Within minutes I had a reply:

"Yes, I am that actor! I have been dying to get tapes or DVDs of the episodes I was in. Can you give me the contact info of the station running The Doctors?"

I was able to send him the contact email addresses for both SFM and Luken (who owns Retro TV). If they are serious about getting the show on DVD, I'm sure they would love to hear from someone who was actually in the cast. Here's what he looks like today:

http://www.mmm.edu/live/profiles/45-richard-niles