The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As you probably know, Retro started with mid 1967 episodes--but I don't know where you can find them now.  I *believe* those are the earliest episodes available from the company that packages the reruns--but have no idea if that means that that was when full episodes were saved to video tape or if earlier ones exist (and not just random kinescopes).

• Members

Love reading your thoughts on How to...  (BTW, anyone else agree that the working title, From This Moment On is better?  How to Survive a Marriage just sounds awkward and, well, negative).  I know much of the soap press at the time found Anne Howard Bailey's initial work on Marriage *way* too didactic--I've read pieces that claim that, unlike say Agnes Nixon's social issue storylines, the work on it (and speeches from rosemary Prinz' shrink character) often felt like lectures, though the general consensus agrees with what you said, that the show improved a lot once she left.  The rather infamous Lin Bolen and her investment in the show often gets lots of the blame as well (I think maybe unfairly--she was unfairly caricatured in the film Network which I see as being reactionary because she was a woman with so much power in the tv world).

Alas I've only ever seen the brief clip on youtube.

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

Retro started with the December 1967 episodes. I remember people expressing their disappointment that we missed out on seeing the death of Althea's son Buddy earlier that year and didn't get to meet Mike Powers' first wife Valerie. I'm pretty sure that the company said earlier episodes do exist but they decided to start with the December 1967 episodes, which saw the introductions of Steve Aldrich and Karen Werner.

• Members

When Retro first started airing reruns of TD, I found the episodes streaming on-line somewhere, and I kept meaning to start watching, but somewhere along the line I forget where I saw those 1967 eps uploaded. It's my own fault for procrastinating, but actually, I was "saving" the eps to watch on a rainy day, as they say. Anyway, now that I have that other link to where I can find eps from 1969 and onward, I'll get cracking on my viewing!

• Members

I believe the original working title was From This Day Forth, but Bailey and Bolen wanted a more "with it" title. Most of their decisions were off-base, and I don't think either one of them really understood the soap opera genre or what the audience wanted from the soaps.

Julie's (Rosemary Prinz) initially speeches were stilted and unnatural. Her long-winded pontificating came across as lectures, which felt condescending (at least to me). Under Bailey's pen, the characters were not "real people," but rather shallow archetypes spouting unnatural dialogue about women's lib and the need for self-fulfilment and independence. When Edelstein took over, the characters became fascinating, three-dimensional people whose conflicts touched your heart. I wish more episodes were available for soap historians to watch, because as I say, Edelstein's work reminded me of Harding Lemay's style on AW: very adult, intelligent and character-driven.

Four decades later, I still have some audiotapes of the series, and a huge (I mean HUGE) scrapbook filled with articles, reviews, pictures and synopses of the show's storylines.) I really did love the show, thanks almost exclusively to Edelstein's time on it.

BTW, I am very happy to see you back posting again.

One poster had uploaded all 514 of nighttime's Peyton Place, only to see his channel shut down and all the videos deleted. He opened a new channel and uploaded all the episodes AGAIN, only to see the same thing happen. What a nightmare. When he came back and uploaded all 514 eps for the third time, he broke each one of them up into two, 11-minute halves, and that seems to have done the trick. So far, the site has not closed his account or deleted his material. (Fingers crossed, as the complete series is another thing I intend to watch one day.)

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

YES of course I meant From This Day Forth (I guess I was thinking of the song title LOL).  Still, I prefer it as a title... 

Thanks for the welcome back--really enjoying catching up on your posts!

Peyton Place at least makes more sense to me--since Shout Factory seems to be doing their best to (ever so slowly) release them on DVD.  I admit I have umm... fanmade DVDs of the entire show (though I took a break and still have a "year" left of watching) that I bought when it looked like no other DVD sets were coming out--from the Romance Network airings, but out of guilt and a desire to support I did buy the two new box sets out this year.

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

The company that has the show says they’re 290 episodes short of the complete series. I think they started in 1967 because I believe that’s the year the show went to color and when they had the canvas the show was known for with Nick, Carolee and Steve joining. I hope that if they do make it to the end they go back to the beginning and show us what they have. 

• Members

After releasing the first two DVD boxsets, Shout Factory took FOREVER (literally!) to release any more. They just started again this year, which was an unexpected blessing, and I think they have put out a total of five sets so far. Ironically, I have had some friends tell me that the fan-made versions of the DVDs, recorded from the Romance Network, include more scenes that have been edited out of the commercially-released boxsets. That is sort of...annoying. I know other soap fans who had to resort to buying fan-made DVD sets of Beverly Hills 90210 because the commercial releases of the show were butchered so badly.

I know studios often want to pennypinch when they release classic TV on DVD, but if they put out material that is inferior to what fans can get through other fans, the sales of their product will be in jeopardy.

• Members

Well Marland stint has started.. and the pace has slowed down quite a bit.  The words are good, but it just feels off to me.. kind of cold and lacking of emotion thus far.  Marland may have the knack of good stories/plots, but he doesn't have that magic touch in terms of emotions and warmth.

• Members

I completely agree with, well, all of this--though I had never heard about them releasing edited episodes (from what I've noticed they all seem to be the proper length but I haven't gone through all of them yet).  SHOUT is usually pretty good at getting that right, and nothing's come up on the PP groups I'm on, but I'll have to investigate...