Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Coronation Street very briefly aired on the USA network in 1982. I remember when a few of the cast appeared on Donahue to promote it. They weren't on a video link from the UK, they were live and in person from the studio at Rockefeller Center. Phil Donahue was one of the better talk show hosts but he seemed to have been under the mistaken impression that it was the UK's answer to Cheers. I may have yelled "Even I know it's not a sitcom!" to the TV screen. It was my pleasure recently to get in touch with Sally Dynevor and tell her how cute she was on his show. I remember she reminded me so much of Mia Farrow-she looked so sweet, shy and absolutely terrified. She responded that yes, she was rather overwhelmed by the experience. I only remember her and Michael LeVell (Kevin) on it but there must have been a few others.

Emmerdale probably aired in the NY area on WLIW/Ch 21 around 1990 because I vividly remembered an actress named Sally Knyvette who was on it quite heavily as Kate Sugden. According to Wiki she was on the show from 1988-1991. She reminded me a lot as Gillian Taylforth as Kathy on EastEnders-both attractive, athletic looking, likeable blonde ladies.

Edited by TimWil

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It was only on WLIW/Ch 21 on Sunday afternoons for a few months at most. Around the same time WNYC/Ch 31 was showing Irish soaps Glenroe and Fair City on Sunday evenings from 7-8 pm as well as EastEnders on Wednesday nights. WNYC/Ch 31 no longer exists.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

Dolly was the leading female character, together with Annie, for a number of years in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Like you I was also fascinated by her, because at the time the only other Dolly I had heard of was Dolly Parton, and she had very little in common with Dolly Skilbeck.... tongue.png

• Members

Well, I Am A Swede, there was also Dolly Gallagher Levi in Hello, Dolly! And Dolly the cloned sheep. I was highly amused that there was someone on a British soap named Dolly and she wasn't even a comedy character, she was a leading lady.

That shot at the end of the clip with Matthew grinning broadly, thrilled with Amelia's win really is lovely, Carl. He's gorgeous. I bet Charley Webb f**ked up big time, causing him to end their relationshop. She comes off as a bit of a "sullen cow" in that interview with Michael Parr, doesn't she? She doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humor. I loved her when Debbie first arrived in the village. She's still good, I'll give her that.

Edited by TimWil