Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Nothing all that thrilling here, but Emmerdale's Youtube account has started posting deleted scenes. It's a neat idea, and yay for this happening with a soap I actually WANT to watch (looking at you GH). Hopefully more will be out in future.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well I told you this already but I fear that they are going to waste Robert and I am going to be pissed. I'd hate to see another Sugden be tossed aside when they are the true core family.

I do love how earlier you compared the show to ATWT, and I do see a lot of similiarties both good and bad. One of the bad being that the Dingles are like the Snyders--they started off decent but now you're at the point where you are sick of them because the show focuses too heavily on them.

• Members

Good comparison, although I think the younger generations of Dingles are better than the younger Snyders, and vice/versa with the older generations.

The Sugdens probably remind me more of the Bauers than the Hughes (in that they are so dysfunctional and so sadly depleted).

What do you think of Carly? Or did I already ask you that?

Oh and watching today's show, I couldn't help thinking how much I'd like to see a Moira/Andy affair, as I think that of anything would make Cain go BOOM, and I want to see dark Cain again.

• Members

Sorry took so long to reply. I was eating. happy.png

I think Carly is alright. She's still new to me, so I have no feelings towards her at the moment. I am glad that Bob's kids are starting to pop up on the show.

I do think that the Bauer comparision is more suitable. I can see the similarities in that too.

But weighing the comparision between Emmerdale and the P&G shows, makes it quite obvious why I gravitated towards this show all those years ago before watching EE and Corrie. They all have that warm, small town feel. Family is heavily stressed. And when scandal occurs, it richochets throughout the entire village. Emmerdale is like the P&G fans dream. It's as close as we'll get to having a show similar to Guiding Light, Another World, Search for Tomorrow, and As the World Turns.

• Members

"Our Finn walks a bit like yah" - DEAD

He's so mean to his mom tho. Smack the living daylights out of him...lol this fool really stole the car and brought it to Aaron and Adam to scrap for profit...what a hot mess.

WOW this Robert really say this.....bombshell. I'm not sure I buy it though.

I thought it was a bit insensitive/callous of this Adam fella to ask to marry Andy's sister Vick. I mean Katie's barely been in her grave. The idiot is still reeling and acting foolish and you bring up getting married to someone who was just married (well months ago but less than a year) and just lost his wife?

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

Val's behavior toward Finn and Darren has been disgusting. Smashing up that car made me angry. She's lucky she doesn't get charged with a hate crime. This is a more extreme version of typical Val - selfish, insecure, hurtful and malicious to the people in her life because of said insecurities.

But Finn is not one of her children, or Diane, who always felt obligated to tolerate her or forgive her because she's their mother or their sister - she's just Val. Finn should not forgive or forget this for a long time. If I were him, I'd never speak to her again.

I understood why Darren was more doubtful of Finn today, with the phone being near his car, but it's still disappointing that instead of seeing their relationship, we just see Darren being persecuted and taking it out on Finn. This story, whatever noble goal it may have, just essentially tells HIV-positive people not to date HIV-negative people, and makes Val seem unhinged due to having HIV.

I really, really, really think the show needs another HIV positive character besides Val if Darren leaves soon. If they are going to do "issue" stories about HIV, it can't just be on her. She's too toxic, and it sends out a terrible message to the public.

I'm not all that thrilled with Ross' behavior here either - he's been consistently unsupportive. I hope Finn isn't going to just let this slide.

They obviously wanted to make sure Finn had NO support here, other than Victoria, but this story really needed Pete (I never thought I'd be typing that).

• Members

How do you guys know it's Val for certain? And doesn't she have HIV and was just the one in the hospital on deaths doorstep...this is so weird to me. Is it self loathing/hatred that's causing her to do this? I thought she liked/loved Finn.

I hope it doesn't drive Emma nuts but we'll see. Ross I think is just being realistic and acting way I expected him to. May not be politically correct but I can't say that if I had a sister or brother who was considering dating or sleeping with a positive person I'd be truly thrilled about it.

• Members

It's not just his being bigoted about Darren, it's that he was pretty callous about the whole thing even when they split and Finn was upset. Ross loves Finn but for this story he's mostly treating him like some annoying guy he shares a house with.

• Members

Emma set it in motion, although I don't think she knows how far Val is going.

There are less black people in the UK than the US, especially in that area of the UK, but they've had black families, black characters. It's just that the show has often done a poor job writing for black characters. The last were Gemma and her father Dom, who dated Chas. You may remember Gemma because Belle hears her in her head after accidentally killing her.

The most popular black character on the show was probably Danny Daggert, part of the otherwise not all that popular Daggert family. He worked with Rodney for years and had a fling with Val.