EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Drug addiction plot for 'Enders character

EastEnders hardman Phil Mitchell is to develop an addiction to crack cocaine in a forthcoming storyline, it has emerged.

The Walford tough guy - played by 51-year-old Steve McFadden - becomes hooked on the drug after troubles in his personal life lead to a battle with depression.

Phil, who has already experienced an ongoing alcohol problem throughout his time on the Albert Square soap, has turbulent times ahead as he faces the prospect of losing his daughter Louise (Brittany Papple). As previously announced, Louise's mum Lisa (Lucy Benjamin) is making a one-off return to the programme later this year in a bid to retrieve the child.

Meanwhile, Phil's son Ben (Charlie Jones) is already known to be taking a temporary exit from the serial before returning with a new actor playing the part. Details of how he will depart are currently being kept under wraps, but it is thought that the circumstances will be dramatic.

Confirming the drug addiction plot, a BBC spokeswoman said: "EastEnders has a history of tackling social issues. We are working closely with drug and alcohol charities, including Addaction and DrugScope to make sure that we sensitively reflect this difficult issue."

Speaking to The Mirror, a Walford insider added: "Bosses thought long and hard about the storyline. It will be shocking, powerful and dramatic. At no point will viewers see Phil take drugs to ensure the episodes are suitable for the audience."

DrugScope's chief executive Martin Barnes predicted that the hard-hitting story is likely to have a positive impact. He said: "If EastEnders sensitively reflect the impact that drug use has on Phil, it could help."

The plotline is expected to air in the summer.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

this has me more excited about Kirkwood`s run than ever.

Its going to be interesting with the drugs story with Phil. I`m glad they are not making him go back to drink because that is what Santer would have done. So Kirkwood is going to try something new with the character which excites me.

• Members

Yeah I wonder what they will do with Glenda. I know some have said she's too campy but she hasn't had much of a chance. Those first episodes I thought she was good, before she became cartoonish. I also loved her rivalry with Peggy. I want to see more of her with Ronnie, I thought they worked well together. Roxy too, if they get the material.

I don't mind when the show deals with these issues as long as they actually deal with them. The stuff with Ronnie's rape, it can be very powerful material. I would say the same about Phil's drug addiction but I think that will be cut short because of Steve McFadden's panto break.

I'm surprised at how much I've heard, "He can't be hooked on that, he's too old and he's been an alcoholic." I don't think that's how it works. People switch from one addiction to another and people can get hooked on serious drugs later in life. They should have him do a crossover with Ellen Burstyn from Requiem for a Dream.

I also see some, "This will spoil his relationship with Shirley," which makes me LOL. Not to be rude, but what relationship is that, is it the one where she has enabled him as he's treated her like crap? They don't have a relationship.

• Members

I enjoyed Thursday's episode, Diane Parish continues to be great in this Lucas story. She's very underrated.

I enjoyed Janine and Ryan scamming Vanessa, even if I wish they'd give Janine something with more substance to do again.

LOL! at Stacey hating her baby shower, I bet that's going to be hilarious next week.

Glad to see Glenda back, and nice to see Ronnie catch up on what a scam artist Danny is. The walls are definitely closing in on him.

This episode was originally supposed to be aired next Monday, but due to the weird World Cup scheduling, they're an episode advanced.

I wonder if Santer purposely ignored the Ronnie rape stuff and wanted Kirkwood to execute it. He probably knew he was leaving anyway and wouldn't be able to give it much attention. Glad it's being explored again though.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I do not like Roxy. She's a dumb bitch. What are Danny's plans? Does he want to steal Roxy's money or something? ... That DJ was really good looking. Lets have him back for aesthetics, please.

I also do not like Lucas, mainly because Religion grits my nerves. When he kept saying Denise wasn't his judge, she should have slapped the s.hit out of him.

Janine/Ryan were hilarious. I loved them. And Ryan is gorgeous. Yummy.

Stacey looked really ugly today. Such a scowler that one.

Loved Chelsea's line "big Heather." :lol: It's nice to see that Jody doesn't care about Darren's past. Her and Vanessa are great add-ons so far.

• Members

The Janine/Ryan scam stuff was a bit silly, although at least it meant most of the characters weren't segregated into their own stories. Her games with Lucas continue to be odd -- I really wish they would have her learn everything about Lucas and have him throttle her. I think that would be a big story for Janine.

That last scene with Denise and Lucas was very gripping. Diane and Don are both turning in such great work, these emotional, intense scenes are what the story should have been about all along.

Darren's disastrous phone message to Jodie (who still seems to not be written as a moron, which is good), and his awkward meeting with Libby were both very believable little everyday moments. The banter between Darren and Max is still great, and there were some great shots of Max's superior posterior.

I get so confused with Roxy's plans for the Vic because she said she wanted to make changes, then there were no changes at all for months, and now they're back to her wanting changes. Either way, I'm glad Danny is almost gone, the faces he makes are so awful to sit through.