EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

In a way, I can understand why Abi and Ben are drawn to each other and want to use one another to cover up their insecurities.

They're both incredibly pathetic and needy characters. I think Lorna and Harry Reid are playing the hell out of the pathetic aspects of the characters.

I am actually really surprised by Harry Reid, he brings a lot of vulnerability to the role - sometimes I want Ben to die, but other times I want to give him a hug. He's been a great recast, IMO. I just wish they knew how to write for this type of character.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can understand it as well - I think it helps that there's no man Ben is pining away for, which is such a cliche at this point (and is one of many reasons I didn't like Johnny/Ben). Instead of it being about Abi being written as some bitch trying to stop gay love, it's two screwed up people. The scene where he told Abi he has "thoughts" and she tried to push it all away was very effectively written.

Jay's part in the story is what confuses me, as I don't know if he has feelings for Lola or for Abi, or if he doesn't have feelings for anyone and is just lashing out and sick of everything and sick of dealing with Ben (blurting out about the kiss was the closest he's come to washing his hands of Ben, but then he took it back).

I didn't think there was any need for Ben to return, but Harry Reid has been very good, he has very good chemistry with the main people in Ben's life, from Jay, to Sharon, to the Beales (where he's a part of the family but not a true part of the family). Phil's lengthy absence has also helped. They can do a lot with him if he stays long term.

• Members

I thought she said last year [when asked] that she didn't want to return to EE? I guess b/c of the reception of Kathy's return, she wants Cindy to return. :rolleyes:

Whatever, lady.

While I think this would be a good time for Cindy to return, there is no Peter, Lucy, or Steven to cement her. No one really cares for Lil Cindy that much, so....

But if they do consider bringing her back, they need to tie it in with Kathy's. Two back from the dead stories would be two, too many.

• Members

I wonder if Jan will appear in the Sarah Phelps episode, but I think that's airing this month as opposed to next month.

I f.ucking hope they don't waste a one-off Sarah Phelps return on the Carter's. She should write for Sharon, Kat, and Stacey - three characters she wrote well for in her original stint on the show.

I guess Whitfield will be connected to the new Harry storyline for Kat.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Good for her. His comments were some of the most insulting and glib I can remember from a major producer. It's glorifying tokenism even though Eastenders was built on diversity.

As for Phelps, I agree with you. I can't imagine anyone being stuck writing for the Carters. They have the same damn conversation every episode. And aside from Kellie Bright, who is about the same as usual (for better or worse), their acting keeps on going downhill. Yet they're probably going to win a bunch of BSAs solely for being Carters. Ugh.

• Members

Pretty bad episode with mainly Kat, Linda, Kim, Shirley, Lee and Whitney. Tameka Empson's weaknesses as an actress were particularly exposed in this one and Kellie Bright and Jessie Wallace have zero chemistry as scene sharers.

• Members

There's a new blog post from Matthew Robinson where he talks about Michelle Collins and the decision to kill Cindy. I love how transparent he is.

http://walfordweb.com/blog/entry/4047849/597819/

The ego most of the cast had in the late 90's seemed out of control and exactly what led to both Michelle and Martine McCutcheon's downfalls.

• Members

This cracks me up (I do kind of wonder if this actually happened...).

Collins is a weird case, because while I do think she had some charisma and a strange quality to her that fit the era (as this was still the tail end of that Paula Yates era), I've never understood WHY she became so prominent on British TV in the 90s and early 00s. Maybe she just knew the right people? I know she seemed very friendly with Phil Collinson, who gave her way too much exposure on Corrie (and cast her on Doctor Who). I think being overexposed hurt her career quite a bit.

• Members

She was never a particularly great actress, I just think she was perfect for Cindy and just rode the wave of exposure she got from the role until it ran out. The same with Martine McCutcheon - not a particularly great actress, but great for Tiffany and she was able to score like two pop hits (including a UK #1 single) based off of that.

• Members

I think this press hounding storyline was Sanjay and Gita's exit storyline:

I always loved Sanjay and Gita when I watched the 90's episodes on PBS. They may have ran out of steam towards the end, but I always thought they were well integrated into the fabric of the show. They never felt like the "token Asian couple/family."

They were of course part of Matthew Robinson's housecleaning, which was probably justified as they seemed to run of ideas for them. However, I do still think they could easily be written back in, but I doubt they'd be on the top of anyone's list of returns.