GL Flashback 1997

• Members

I posted this in the video forum, but I thought I'd post it here just in case anyone missed it over there.

Source: Soap Opera Digest

January 28, 1997

Thumbs Down!

Overdone Annie

Whatever happened to that nice nurse Annie?

When we first met Annie three years ago, she was sweet, charming, and dedicated to helping others. We were happy when she and Josh fell in love. We sympathized when the skeletons came tumbling out of her closet (she was a recovering alcoholic who had once been married to Rick). We ached for her when Josh's wife, Reva, came back from the dead and shook up the entire Lewis family.

But then our Annie took a detour onto Destruction Drive, developing headaches and a predilection for painkillers. We accepted this plot development (she does have an addictive personality), but balked at the next stop: Insanity Street.

Annie wigged out and decided that only a baby could preserve her shaky marraige. Soon, she was staring into space, slashing her diaphragm and donning slutty lingerie to seduce Josh, who had stated (quite clearly) that this was not a good time to have a baby, Unwilling to let nature take its course, Annie rushed off, secretly got herself artificially inseminated and announced she was expecting. (Just what this soap needs, another plot featuring a pregnant wife, questionable paternity, and a clueless dad.)

Nowadays, Annie's a pathetic creature whose raison d etre is keeping Josh and Reva apart. Though no fault of the talented Cynthia Watros, Annie has been transformed from a character into a plot device. We want the character back.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for posting, Dan! This is very typical of B&E's GL, and of their writing in general.

I've always said that it was Cynthia Watros' electrifying performance that made Annie come alive, not the writing. B&E did use Annie as plot device, but Watros' performances were so consistently amazing that a lot of us overlooked it at the time.

I shutter to think what Annie would've been in the hands of a lesser actress. Her transformation was good to watch for entertainment value (and once again, Watros' acting), but it was heavily plot-driven and convoluted.

But aw, my dear Cynthia Watros, I wish she'd make a return to soaps.

I should add, Watros and Annie CARRIED GL in 1997, there was nothing else to tune in for consistently at the time.

• Members

I thought they were hired in late 96?

Or is this from Conforti and Miller's interim period?

ETA: Just checked Toups' achieve, B&E's material started airing in Feb 1997, so this is from Conforti and Miller's interim period.

But honestly, B&E just picked up the plot driven-ness of Conforti and Miller's interim period and turned it way up.

• Administrator

I don't know if February 1997 was when they were hired or when their stuff aired though - it wasn't "my" information and the end credits didn't help (I only have October 21, 1997 credits).

• Members

Here's me with my agenda again: it would be really interesting if someone interviewed Brown & Esensten. These people were around for all sorts of things and would probably have stories to tell.

I hated their work, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to hear what they had to say.

Thank you, Dan!

• Members

I love/hate B&E. But I have to say, when they were writing GL, I was addicted. Everyday had cliffhangers which is an amazing feat, especially since they would basically only write like two "sorta-umbrella" stories at a time.

Regarding Annie, I didn't really start watching the show until Annie started going crazy, so I don't have that perspective. I can't even picture Cynthia Watros playing a mild-mannered, normal nurse Annie Dutton. With and despite the material Watros acted her butt off.

• Members

B&E's GL material started airing in the summer of 1997. I'm almost certain it was July, but may have been June or August.

I remember finding out alot of the stuff I thought they had done was actually still Conforti and Miller.

Plus they still would have been finishing up The City in early 1997.

Here's an interesting interview B&E did with SOW after they were fired from GL:

http://snarkweighsin.blog-city.com/swicolumn12.htm

They pretty much admit all the promises new writers make in their initial interviews are all lies.

• Members

Thanks for that, LeClerc! I didn't realize Conforti and Miler were interim HW's for that long.

Wow, that McTavish transfer to B&E was long, wasn't it? Having Paul Rauch there didn't help things either.

I think a lot of the campy and character destruction was Rauch's fault though, he's known for liking storylines that are campy and bizarre. I can't put all the blame on Conforti, Miller, and B&E.

I forgot about The City (but so did everyone else apparently)! :lol:

• Members

Just curious. Would Cynthia Watros still have gotten all of the praise and attention she earned (and more specifically, the Emmy) without the "crazy Annie" storyline? I mean, I didn't really watch the show much before Reva came back (on and off and she must not have been around during those on periods), but it just seem like in comparison, Nurse Annie Dutton would have been a dull character. Did she have a alcohol or drug problem before Reva's return? I missed that. I guess I'd like to know what type of character she was before.

Archived