GH: Does The Mob Help Or Hurt?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is a place for everything on this show. The biggest problem is the balance. I can't really complain too much right now about the balance of GH. I would like to see the hospital shown a bit more, but I'm greatful for the hospital scenes we do get. Lord knows there was a time a few years ago where we went months without seeing it.

• Members

My opinion: It helps because it's never boring watching this show. Something's always happening. But that's the only positive I can give it right now.

It hurts, in my opinion, because the heros are criminals that do despicable things and the cops are viewed as horrible villains who are constantly harrassing these poor, good, innocent MOBSTERS!

It also hurts because each and every mob story is predictable. Jason will kill someone, get off scott-free. A new mobster will come to town to take over Sonny's territory, only to turn in a cartoonish psychopath. Jason will get shot. He survives. Sonny gets shot. Not only does he survive, he tends to become rather potent afterwards and get somebody pregnant.

• Administrator

It would be good if the mob wasn't glorified or treated like heroes and taking up all the airtime. It's troublesome to watch Bob Guza's "upside down world." In Bob Guza's world, there's a "good mob" and a "bad mob" and he uses the "bad mob" to make the "good mob" heroes of the show. Case in point, right now Guza's doing that with Anthony ("bad")/Claudia ("good"), Ian ("bad")/Jerry ("good").

• Members

HURT but at this point removing it would most likely kill the show.

A good writer may be abe to slowly phaze it out but Frons LOVES it even through it does not draw it's target groups of striaight men so what's the point?

HoweverIf there was no hope for most it wouldn't be GH for most viewers!

• Members

As someone said, it's Guza'a skewed view of the mobsters that hurts. How in the hell is there a such thing as a "good" mobster?! Everyone who's against Sonny and Jason are "bad" and have to die all the while Jason and Sonny are glorified for their illegal actions. It would make things better if Sonny and Jason actually had to pay for that they do instead of the police being the "bad" guys.

• Members

It goes both ways.

It helps them because without all these MOB stop GH will not be the same. GH is know for those types of stories.

It hurts them because it is the same thing over and over. Violence.............It gets annoying at some points.

• Members

R Sinclair, y u trippin? you should know better than to try and oiffer an opinion!

i agree and disagree with ya tho. I mean, true its never really borring in port charles and something is always goin on, but as for if thats always intersting is another thing. I honestly think it does help. the poroblem is they dont have fleshed out char's with layers and dont tell good stories. it could be set in the heart of hollywood, miami, new york city and revovle around hitman, cops, models, whatever. if the char's have no debth and the stories are flat - it isnt gonna be intersting.

• Members

I dont mind that, because i do assume there are good mobsters. its not like they are this crazed killers, IMHO. and 99% of people thet get hurt chose to be in that life and aroound it. The problem is Sonny has lost al layers. We use to see he was this man in this bad life that wanted more and wanted to be better. he had soem depth. now we are TOLD by the writers, carly, alexis, robin, and everyone else that sonny is a good man.

• Members

The mob is really only two primary characters and their story never changes that much. I think it's a question of viewers being used to their presence. The mob exists because it is built in drama. There's no need to actually think of new and interesting plots because all you need to do is bring in a new mob family and voila!, you've got danger.

I don't think they hurt or help the show because if both characters were gone, the show would go on and probably without the mob s/l since there would have to be a new set of mobsters and rivals introduced which could turn off viewers. In the long run, the monotony of seeing these two characters eat up the show (among other factors) that probably contributes to the diminishing audience. There's really nothing new under that sun.

• Members

I must be a real idiot because I don't see the problem with someone strongly disagreeing with your opinion. It's not as if Cheap said you were wrong. I thought it worked that one person expresses an opinion and another might express a dissenting opinion. I'm pretty sure that people strongly disagree with my opinions on a regular basis and it doesn't make it any less my opinion or any less their's. It's a two way street.

I don't agree with your statement either but I respect your right to your opinion and I don't think strongly disagreeing is being disrespectful.

Archived