The State Of Days

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is by far better than it has been in recent years. I am loving the ava storyline, due to Tamara Braun and the fact that vets are doing more than reading letters. I am loving Blondie & Jawn. The house of both DiMera & Kiriakis provide lots of comedy and drama. Plus, there is no shelle!!! But on the downside storys drag on for weeks with nothing happens and when something doesn happen its like BAM and then its done. I am undecided on the dr dan storyline, because i do like chelsea and dan and think RM & DC have hella chem, is there an actuall story aside from her having a crush on him and ignoring her boyfriend? it needs some more depth. On another plus note i love the Victor & Marlena scenes. on another bad note Chloe & Nicole are so OTT and annoying and 1d i cant stand it.

On a scale of 1-10, i would give it a 7. Has it been better? Please, as if one needs to even answer that. But has it been worse? Oh yes, it has... much much worse.

• Members

I'm still cautious and watch it. There are other times I have it on and don't pay attention to it either. Does that make me a bad fan? Probably. Do I care? No. If the topic were about Guiding Light, I'd probably say the same thing except worse.

• Members

Two months ago it was better than it's been in over fourteen years. Now, with all the added repetitiveness and hallmarks of bad writing (illogical nonsense, characters loudly talking to themselves, an over-reliance on flashbacks, fantasies, and fake outs - the latter of which will undoubtedly start cropping up as it did in the past), it's getting back into the rut that it was in as recently as last spring. Except, it's even more boring now, IMO.

EDIT: I totally agree with Jack's sentiments, but Ava would be a lot better if the story wasn't being dragged out and her cousins (?) blindly supporting her and being total enablers. And Kayla/Bo/Hope all being so retardedly stupid. I feel the same way as Jack, only I'd give it more like a 4 out of ten. That's only 'cause I KNOW it's gotten down to a stone-cold zero before.

• Members

Liking everything but Stax. The pace slowed down a bit in early April but all soaps seem to slump big time in the Spring. It's not perfect but it's easily in the top 3 of soaps airing right now. The show has good balance too and things are picking up. The biggest thing I like is that it seems more character-driven now then it was under Hogan. Not a Higley fans but I will give her props. Kate is back to doing more then being Lucas' sidekick, Sami is back to her bitchy self, the J&M story is focusing on the emotions and feelings between them and not just on the plot, Steve and Kayla are back in form with Steve being his true self and trying to protect the people he loves at all costs, Kayla is getting her fire back, Bo and Hope have an active presence again and are in a story with Steve and Kayla just like old times, Nicole is back in good form, Victor is active and in form again, Daniel and Ava (who many pegged a one note psycho but she is nothing close) have been introduced and have been given some layers that makes them interesting, and we have a new crime family being introduced in the Vitali's and I am glad. The show needs new blood. Focusing too much on the same old is part of the problem. Seeing new faces mix it up with old ones is great.

The vets, including Maggie, have more airtime. History is being used and not re-written. The acting is great. Can't wait for Ava's father. I really can't wait until we get to writing team episodes. The dialogue has been hit or miss during the strike but that will improve once we get to post-strike episodes. I also would like to see more done with Philip and Morgan and I also want EJ to get more of his edge back. Other then that, I'm enjoying it and it seems critics are more receptive to it now then under Hogan (which is weird for me but whatever Days needs the press). Plus, looking at boards with long-time fans, many seem happy with it. It's not fantastic at the moment like it was two months ago but every soap hits a slow period and Days is already coming out of it. It's still focusing on family, beloved characters, and is dealing with traditional stories that fans always seem to indicate they like. The comedy has returned too.

I don't see these fakeouts some mentioned. What fakeouts? I haven't seen one since JER. The fantasies have only appeared in two episodes and I have no problem with that. They are a part of traditional soap and are very realistic. People daydream and as long as it doesn't become excessive, it doesn't matter, at least for me. Things have been repetitive at times, especially early on in the strike episodes but that is expected when you have scabs and Corday is the one that brought on said scabs. That is why I think we will notice positive changes once we see the writers being credited.

To each their own. I liked Hogan's writing. Can't stand Higley but, giving credit where it's due, she's doing an ok job so far. I would prefer other writers but I think she is doing a satisfactory job. The ratings have not declined either. Days has been stuck in the 2.0-2.2 range since the last few months of Hogan's reign. The ratings are stable and I doubt if there will be much forward movement for Days or any other soap the way ratings are. Maybe temporary boosts but I think if soaps can hang on to the numbers they have, they should be happy given the circumstances.

• Members

I will admit the past couple weeks have been a little slow, minus Nicole's return..But i'm still really enjoying the show....We've got great balance now, with most of the cast involved in a story...I just hope Dena picks up the pace a little..

• Members

I like DAYS right now. It's by far way better then it's been for the last couple of years. There's balance, the vets are working it, Sami's a b!tch again and some great actors has been hired lately.

The only thing is Stax... I so wish they weren't uncle and niece, then I could atleast watch their scenes without disgust. :mellow:

Ohh, and there's Kayla. I just can't stand her stupidity lately. <_< Other then that I'm really enjoying watching a new episode every day.

• Members

They haven't happened yet, but as I said, I believe we'll be seeing them soon. All the other things are back in full force.

I don't like Stephanie and Max, but it's not because they're "related." Please; they didn't even know each other until, what, two or three years ago? Nevermind that it's in name only, as well. What bugs me the most is how they tip-toe around it by saying "Your mother" (instead of "My grandmother" or "My sister") and "Your family" (instead of "Our family"), and my opinion that they have little to no chemistry.

Archived