The State Of Days

• Members

I started loosing interest at points during Ireland/plane crash stuff. There were great moments, but then it seemed like the actually story wasn't going anywhere and action was there just for plot points. I thought the plane crash was gripping and intense but then bang things with that were wrapped up in a week (sort of like JP said). Bo's illiness had moments that were good, but the overall story was just blah (it end up being everyone taking turns telling Bo to fight). Then when my favorites left the show there was little to hold what interest I still had to watch the show every day. Also life just got crazy and I don't have time to keep up with the two other soaps I watch let alone also watching Days. It was the show I had the least amount of interest in so was the one to get dropped. I have watched once or twice, but even still just nothing there that makes me me go "I better watch tomorrow's show". Maybe when things calm down, I can get back into watching the show. I still follow recaps and spoilers online, but those don't have me running to the DVR to watch either.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, Roman asked about the state of the show right now so what may or may not happen is irrelevant really. Higley never did much in the way of fakeouts. Fantasies, yes, but fakeouts, no. That was a JER trademark.

JackPeyton, watching the show or some clips online is the only way to get a sense of a show. I've never bought into how reading summaries and spoilers can give someone a good reading on a show. I just can't see it.

• Members

As it turns out, I finally got around to watching Monday, and there WAS a fake-out: Chelsea and Daniel kissing. It definitely wasn't just a straight-up fantasy, because it wasn't presented as such. So, here it goes...

• Members

Offliner opinion of DOOL --

I talked with someone earlier tonight who is a DOOL watcher and has been for many years. We always talk DOOL when I see her and she asked me tonight if I had any idea what they were going to do with the Steve/Kayla/Hope/Bo story with Ava. I told her I wasn't watching and she was shocked. She's enjoying DOOL right now and doesn't mind the quick pace, the illogic of it all. I think the words "It's a soap opera" came out of her mouth more than once.

Thought I'd share.....

• Members

^Jen, I've heard similar things from many off-liners too. I have friends that had quit watching the show under JER and came back and quit a few months into Hogan's run. They had not watched the show consistently in 2007 but they caught it here and here. We used to get into fights the past year or so when I would support Hogan. They have been loving the show since December and many fanbase-dominated message boards are too.

Different strokes, I guess. Thanks for sharing that though. :)

• Members

I gotta say, I HEART Hogan Sheffer, but for whatever reason, his reign did not work. However, the last few months have been awesome. Seriously, I hate saying that after living through what DH did to OLTL, but, so far, DOOL kinda rocks under her reign. I LOVE the Anna/Tony stuff. The new John rocks my face off, Kayla/Steve/Bo/Hope and Ava is entertaining. AND Nicole and Chole are quite frankly the best comedic couple on daytime. The writing is good, and thanks to Ed Scott the look and feel of the show are wonderful. As someone who watches a bunch of shows (AMC, OLTL, GH, ATWT, & DOOL)l . . . right now, DAYS is the best . . . with OLTL a very close second . . . Cannot judge GL, BB, or YR . . . but of my 5 . . . Days kinda rulz!

• Members

I don't know honestly. I have to say though, things are definitely different from when Hogan was writing, and not all for the best.

Sometimes when I tune into DAYS, maybe a story or two will catch my eye, but then a few days later the story stalls. Like the Ava stuff, I was loving Ava's intro and all, and her kidnapping Hope. However for a tiny bit Ava's intoduction did stall a bit with the constant flashbacks, and so did her kidnapping Hope.

I think DAYS biggest problem at the moment, aside from the lackluster ratings, for me is the slow pacing, perhaps the dialogue, and Stephanie and Max. I like how the vets are being shown, but increased airtime for the vets does not equal Must See TV; they must be in good stories first.

I agree with the poster who stated that the stories don't seem like stories anymore, but simply plot points.

• Members
Thank you.

I actually read summaries of ATWT before I started watching the show. Later on I got my hands on maybe 4-5 months of episodes and it was pretty much all lof the episodes I've been reading about before. So I started watching from there (and continued on downloading new episodes) and let me tell you it really wasn't the same at all. There's no way you can get the feeling of a show just by reading summaries etc.

• Members

But, if you have watched the show and then quit because its bad and just read whats going on and maybe watch a few clips, i still think you can judge it and be fair. It isnt like if you have never watched a show, or evenw atched one here and there, and read updates and whatnot.

Archived