Y&R: Actor returns....as a different character

• Members

This could be good, just as long as they don't use it as another prop for Gloria.

But Jerry Douglas coming back as a real life character is better than that pretentious ghost of John that is always popping up. LOL I will love to see the look on Glo's face. Would Jack make her think its John's ghost? A la Janet Green doing the same with to Dixie with Will many years ago. I think this will be good.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This show has its moments, but there's not much of interest going on right now. Lily/Cane is a snoozefest, Nikki/David is dull and seems like filler (and MTS is just phoning it in, which doesn't help), Nick/Phyllis/Sharon/Jack, enough said, Jill/Kay/Lauren/Michael/Paul/Maggie are essentially MIA, and even the VicAdam stuff, which I was really enjoying for a while, is becoming tedious. The only thing holding my interest is the Gloria/Jeff stuff, and even that seems to be spinning out of control and is saved by Shackelford's delicious performance. I don't see much of a difference from LML, except at least with her material there was some semblence of a vision and was all done pretty slickly and with a feeling of energy and vigor. I'm not sensing any of that from Griffith's writing. I don't think the new Jerry Douglas character will be much of a shot in the arm.

• Members

I'll admit, Y&R is lacking some fire these days. However, I tend to think it's because the show is in a sort of transitional phase right now, and that it's going to take some time to bounce back fully from LML.

• Members

God knows I'm not defending LML *at all*. But I have to wonder - if we were all ignorant, and behind-the-scenes-info-free, and didn't know JG and MAB were writing the show right now... would we notice?

I don't have the answer. Just curious.

• Members

I think so and I say that as someone who didn't hate LML. The tone of the show is different right now. The pacing slower and certain actors are getting less airtime (Brad, Michael). I think LML could have been good for Y&R, if she hadn't been given so much power.

• Members

You're right about the pace, J.

I'm not asking to spark any argument. I'm not sure of the answer myself. Just playing devil's advocate for a moment.

I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic about this John/Alistair story. If it goes someplace unexpected, I'll be REALLY happy. But if this gaslighting is a "connect-the-dots" story that moves forward the way we've all seen before on soaps, it's really going to backfire on them. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that what they have planned isn't as cut-and-dry as I originally thought it might be.

• Members

Hi Daytime Fan. Yes, I sort of enjoyed Latham's run, especially the first few months when Alden and Smith were still be credited as co-HWs. I thought the 3 of them churned out some fantastic soap opera. Although Latham's subsequent own stuff wasn't nearly as strong, and her experiments with certain characters (e.g., turning Nikki into a shrew who would sacrifice her daughter's happiness for her political campaign, Phyllis going from spunky character to giggling housewife to blackmailer, Gloria with one stupid scheme after another) were blatantly idiotic moves, the show under her watch had a breezy, energetic, and slick feel to it, and was very tightly packaged. I'm just not feeling that under Griffith. Yes, the show is a little bit more Bell-esque at the moment, with slower moving storylines and slower paced scenes, and, I don't know if it's the actors or the writing, but it's missing a spark.

• Members

Fair enough. I agree that the months when Alden and Smith were still around were quite good. Once they were gone, however, things went downhill fast. I am a Bell style fan, I like slower pacing...not a fan of breezy. But fair enough, thanks for letting me know!

• Members

I'm not goint to shoot this down before it has even aired...

Answer this question:

If LML would still be in power of the show, would we even be having this? Would the character of Gloria, which she LOOOOOOVED so much be getting back slowly into a corner of the term being paid back for her crimes she has YET to pay for? Would they even have had certain scenes between Jack and Jeff negotiating to get Gloria out of the Abbott house?

Me personally? My answer would be NO.... If LML were still in charge, we'd be watching Gloria getting away with everything under the son, we'd be seeing non stop Michael/Lauren/Kevin scenes where they are all in some form of cahoots, etc.

I'm not going to shoot this down at all because for me right now, it's a bit better than it has been....Granted, I still Lily and Cane or David and Nikki.

Archived