Y&R: Actor returns....as a different character

• Members

I read this on Soap Central.

TV Guide is reporting that Jerry Douglas(John Abbott) is returning as a look alike character named Alistair. He'll be an actor that Jack and Sharon find on a casting web-site. They hire him to use against Gloria.

No words.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I guess the rumor that Jerry Douglas was planning to leave was false. Why else bring him back in an open ended role? Not sure how I feel about this. Would like him to eventually be connected to the Abbott's. Could be a total disaster, then again...Jeffrey was an upgrade.

• Members

Even under Bill Bell, this show had cartoonish storylines (Kay/Marge comes to mind), but they worked because they usually involved the campier, more over the top characters (Kay, Jill, Rex). I'm not sure how wise it is to put 2 of the more down to earth characters (Jack and Sharon) into these silly stories. Their involvement with the cartoonish Jeff/Gloria stuff is awkward enough.

• Members

My first thought was a groan. ("Another bloody doppelganger?????? Enough with doubles! This is too LML" But this Jerry Douglas fanciful return is different for me.

Why do I like Alistair? Because this would imply that the old boy might be a little larceous. It is the "edge" that ghost John was supposed to bring.

But history has shown that these larcenous guys can turn into pure gold. Evidence: "Col Douglas Austin" was a pseudonym...a made up character. But we loved the coot. So, too, "Rex Sterling" was a pseudonym....but we loved the coot.

I can imagine Alistair becoming...not John...but still feeling a connection to his family and filling a needed void...maybe with a bit more of a rascally undertone.

What other show brings back their OLDEST characters???? Y&R rocks

Are Jack and Sharon "too serious" for these stories? Maybe now, yeah. But I loved Sharon in the Cameron Kirsten story (crawling in the sewers with Wartman and Nikki), and I loved Jack back in the day (Terry Lester) when Kay Chancellor was making puzzle pieces out of photos of his private parts. A little lightness is a GOOD thing. It's why SOME of us basically love Gloria and her grifters.

And it gets Jerry Douglas back, and gives him a living character. All of this is good. The haunting of Gloria is clearly ahead. Not only does that sound like ripsnorting fun, but it also implies to me that Jeff Bardwell will be out of the way. I hope so!

• Members

I agree MTSRocks, LML's firing was done a hell of a lot better than Hogan's at DAYS.

I actually think I'll love this twist. Jerry Douglas is flat out fantastic and he's right, killing off John was not a smooth move. If it's done like Kay/Marge was done I'm going to just love it, I can feel it.

Archived