GH: Week Of Feb 4th!

• Members

Your Welcome.

I have been taught that the driver is always supposed to be responsiable. It's simply too important not to be and so I find all of them to be guilty both morally and lawfully. They were all doing things that could easily get a person killed so I do think that all of them should have to pay for their actions and should all have consequences for thier actions. Was it an accident. Most certaintly, but I do not think that excuses their negligence and their irresponsiable actions at the wheel. Elizabeth for driving while asleep, Monica for driving drunk and Carly for willingly putting herself in a state where she was vulnerable to distraction while behind a vehicile. Bottom line for me is that all of them were negligient and perhaps if they weren't Sam wouldn't have been hit. But that's just my opinon.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even though I get what you're saying and I agree that people need to be responsible when driving, I can't take as hard a line as you do because things still happen. There are probably a great many people out on the road each say that are on the phone, or that temporarily doze off, or that daydream, or are so deep in thought that could potentially cause an accident and I don't see where you can dole out punishment for that but it depends on what type of punishment. If you mean a fine then I can sort of see that.

I was hit by a driver while I was walking across the street in the crosswalk. He made a blind right turn around a bus that was loading passengers. He was too impatient to wait for the bus to load and continue so he chose to turn in front of it. As a result, he couldn't see me the pedestrian crossing the road, in time enough to stop safely. His car rolled a distance before it came to a complete stop and I was on the ground thinking the car was going to run over me. I was glad to be alive. I can't imagine someone being able to brake in time to keep from hitting someone who runs out in front of the car. In my case, I was hit on my side as I was walking not running toward so I can cut someone slack. The man was wearing a brand new pair of shoes that had a slipping problem, according to him. His crime was being impatient and making a stupid decision but I was too glad to be alive to get angry about all of that. Everything is not always cut and dry.

Falling asleep and talking on a hand held phone is reckless and even negligent but is it really criminal? Drunk driving is definitely criminal. But it still will go back to whether or not the person's behavior caused the accident and that would be tough to prove in a situation where a person runs out into the street that way. In Brandy's accident, she wasn't charged with a crime because even though her actions could be deemed to have contributed to the ultimate result, there wasn't enough concrete evidence to make the case that she caused the woman's death. I'm sure there are some that think that she hadn't set in motion the chain of events that resulted in the death, that the woman would be alive and a civil court jury may even decide that she was at fault but she wasn't found criminally responsible.

• Members
I took a defensive driving course back in Nov and sleeping at the wheel is a crime in NY. A person who is sleeping is just as bad as a drunk driver as they are crusing down teh roads with a weapon that they have little to no control over. There was a case which involved a young girl who was killed by a sleeping driver which caused it to become law

• Members

I find it hard to believe that it is any different then a drunk driver. You should know weither you are too tired to drive or not and if you are too tired you need to stop and sleep for a while. It makes no sense because falling a sleep at the wheel is just as dangerous as a person who is too inebriated to control his/her vehicile. I believe that is the law everywhere.

• Members

As much as I dont like him, best line today went to Michael. When Sonny told him that he and Jason are going to protect him and Carly, Michael says "Yeah and I guess thats why Emily and Leticia are dead"

With as much money as Carly has, I think she should hire a stylist, bc she wore today, the most butt ugly dress, Ive seen on the show in a long time.

Thats CA. Over here, what Elizabeth did is considered drowsy driving and falls under Maggie's Law, assuming she did hit Sam. Check out this article. It first became a criminal offense in 2003 in NJ

http://www.webmd.com/news/20031001/driving-drowsy

• Members

A person obviously knows when they've been drinking (unless they aren't aware that that they've had drinks that have been tampered with). I'm not equally as certain that a person can always tell that they're too sleepy to drive. I've had instances where I feel fully awake and alert one minute and then I'm suddenly feeling a bit drowsy. I may not see it as a criminal act but that's besides the point because if it's the law then it's criminal. I don't know that it's the law in the state in which I reside. They're just now gotten around to banning talking on hand held cell phones while driving. As far as I know, that type of legislation is generally prompted by specific fatal incidences and I haven't heard that come up as an issue biut I could just be unaware of its implementation. There are plenty of drunk drivers that get off left and right with trash pick up duty so it's kind of hard for me to get worked up.

I'm not going to bat an eye if no one suffers any consequences for Sam's accident because it's silly. People get away with all sorts of actual crimes in real life and that isn't a good thing but it's a fact of life. The only good that will come out of that ridiculous plot is when and if it's revealed that one of those people that is guilty of all sorts of driving crimes hit the TMK and in so doing, saved Sam's life. If that turns out to be the case then I would love to see who wants to push for punishment for the person that hit the TMK and ran.

• Members

It is in California. The state passed a law that, effective January/2008, California drivers are not to drive their car and talk on their cell phone at the same time. I think New York and California are the only states to have this law.

Before the law came into effect, my friend in Las Vegas would never talk to me on my cell phone if I was driving. But I have done it in the past but, since this is law, I do not do it anymore and keep calls at my house or someplace where I am not behind the wheel.

• Members

Probably not because there are many laws but it would make sense to look up a few since Port Charles is located in New York.

Soaps are fairly bad at portraying the legal and criminal justice system, with GH not being an exception. I do not know if they have legal or law enforcement consultants to help them carry out storytelling but, if not, they should look into hiring them.

• Members

Wow you are lucky. The same thing happened to my older brother...he fell asleep on the freeway heading towards Oakland and San Francisco...with him, he collided into another car and boy the insurance had a fit. The car was totaled and he pretty much did not have a car for two to three years.

• Members

yeah, my insurance co loves me. they call me crash. 3 years of driving, 3 cars donzo! plus many more accidents on the way. and i am so one of those "damn. i wish people would learn how to DRIVE!" types. but its more of a when im in the fast lane and cars in the fast lane go like 60. im like WTF! move. this is the fast lane!

anyways, back to GH.

i just dont understand this want for whoever ran down sperm to take the fall. really?

on a show where the two leading men are mobsters?

when luke spencer raped laura.

when sam herself is pretty much a sireal killer.

when carly gets away with her many crimes against fashion

when ric, the damn DA!!!, locked a prego woman in a panic room and planned o steal her baby and was drugging his wife!!!

and so on and so on and so on

its not like they ran down robin scorpio or someone, who ya know, doesnt get a massive fail in life like sam.

and i get the want for people to want soap char';s to pay, esp on a show where no one does, but srsly. to start with this? no.

how about sam pays for her crimes? not to mention that if she wasnt run down and the killer wasnt hit she would be dead. so in a way whoever hit her kinda saved her life. and i bet that right there is how GH will get them off the hook.

tho we all know what sperm is gonna do. "poor me. barren me. jason didnt love me. liz stole my man. i was almost killed. i watched a baby get kidnapepd because i am an insecure selfish bitch. i hired gunmen to scare a woman and her kids for the same reason. i out everyone else secrets but i cant belive people think they have the right to ever tell anyone about me! did i mention liz stole my man? i am not perfect, i know, but... did i mention poor barren me? me! MEEEEE!!!!!!" because ya know, thats how all of her scenes go.

• Members

Oh gosh I loathe it when drivers on the Cali freeway get in the fast lane going the speed of a grandma. That is when my sailor and truck driver mouth gets a full workout if you know what I mean ;)

GH is known to have all those people get away with crap...hard to believe they managed to turn a rape into the biggest love story to ever grace the soap opera screen.

Do not get me started on Ric chaining Carly to a wall in a panic room...just disgusting and something I will never forgive of him (well I will never like him period)

Archived