GH: Week Of Feb 4th!

• Members

I don't think a person is really in their right mind when they have a breakdown. I can't fault her for not acting rationally especially if she had a nervous breakdown. The definition of a nervous/mental breakdown is when a person reached a point where they act out of mental illness, depression or anxiety and they fail to make rational desicions because they are unable to function day to day. So I have to disagree with you there. I do think it is an excuseable reason for the way she acted and quite possiablly the only viable reason that can make her not seem like the cartoonish villian they set her up to be to be the foil to the saintly Liesabeth.

I have seen very talented actresses fall into a rut do to the material they are given with. Melissa Reeves, Alison Sweeny and Rebecca Budig as well as many other talented actresses have all been victims of bad writing at one point or another. I think that if you are given consistently poor writing their is very little you can do to help that. You can only be consistently good for so long until you falter and are unable to make consistently good work. You have to give the actor/actress something to work with and ultimaltely if the writing, reasoning, motivation is poor then you will get a poor performence.

I think Kelly Monaco has sexual chemistry with almost everyone she has a scene with.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If a person has a nervous breakdown then they ought to seek mental help instead of going around wreaking havoc. There are people that are highly emotional or passionate who do irrational things and blame it on their temper. When a person is able to do that then they recognize they have a problem and should be responsible enough to seek help for it or to get it under control. I don't know the ins and outs of having a breakdown but I think it probably prevents a person from functioning normally. I'm having a hard time with the concept of someone having a breakdown while continuing to plan revenge and basically function as normal and no one notices nor does it have any type of effect other than cause vindictive behavior. I don't think anything about the way they depicted Sam in all of this points to a mental breakdown. She wasn't even having episodes where she was fluctuating between sanity and normalcy. She was just driven by jealousy period.

I'll leave the "saintly" Elizabeth hatred alone for you to enjoy or not.

Basically all you're saying to me is that people can excuse their behavior by saying that they had a breakdown and that gives them the right to run around and do what they want as long as they self diagnose themselves and say that's what it is. Jealousy is no justification for watching a baby get kidnapped and doing and saying nothing after the fact but going to taunt said child's mother about it. It's no justification for hiring thugs to taunt a mother in front of her baby and toddler.

I don't find RB to be very talented either. She works as Greenlee. The only time I've seen MR work is with bad writing and I could tell she was talented despite it. The same with AS (though I think MR isn't so locked in that it would be easier for her to show her range). AS has been at it a long time so there would be more reason for her to fall into a rut but I haven't seen her talent buried by it. I'm not big on AS' style though but I think it has to do with the character she plays. I can't take this and apply it to Kelly Monaco's case because I don't see it that way.

I fail to see it. I can't even recall seeing any of the women noticeably work their sexuality in a long time until SJB. I think RC did in a less subtile way. I don't even think she has "chemistry" with almost everyone much less sexual chemistry. She wasn't even close when it comes to both IR and MB and she was tolerable with SB but nowhere near what she was with JP on PC. I just don't see whatever it is that you see in her and I probably never will.

• Members

I can't expect a person who is mentally ill to act rationally. It is out of their control and that's why there is an out for guilty by reason of insanity, because people don't have full complete control of their facilities and are not healthy enough to get help and can't think rational and truely understand the consequences of thier actions. There are a variety of reasons one can suffer from a breakdown some as mundane as social stress, performence anxiety or coping problems. I don't feel it's out of the realm of possiability for her to have experienced a breakdown of sorts.

It doesn't make everything better but it is a suitable reason and a viable reason for why she did the things she did and offers a deeper understanding and gives depth to the character rather then just saying "oh she was just a vengeful witch" like Guza tried to do previously. It seems like the writers are trying to revise that and offer more insight and I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility.

• Members

I could kick myself for being such a (blank) because I was not supposed to post for the rest of the week but I saw this and thought it was funny. I've got to agree with JP that Sam was offering an excuse for her immoral actions.

It's not a viable reason when there's no ounce of validity to it. I don't think the writers are trying to revise anything because they're having her use it as an excuse. They'll be serious about it if they actually had her seek help but she's being manipulative. It's possible that the writers may elect to give her the new Cassadine tumor that explains away all manner of evil. The problem with that tumor is that it ruins the Cassadine legacy by excusing what they've done but at least it won't touch Helena since she's one by marriage. The other problem is that Nikolas' behavior isn't vindictive, planned, etc. He has outbursts and blackouts but he doesn't set out to get revenge on anyone otherwise Jerry would be dead by now. Nikolas is very meek and kind hearted and he has obvious remorse for his actions making the whole Cassadine tumor idiotic. The same with Alexis. So whatever they do to try and explain away Sam's actions is a waste because they shouldn't have had her go after babies.

Archived