Days: Does Hogan Sheffer Want To Return?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It will be very interesting if Hogan comes back after the strike. He'll have to share the Head Writing duties with Dena, and things should get heated once she starts bringing her own her on the writing team. He's never worked with Dena before and probably never wanted her there, I'm sure it's going to be a clash of egos. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he left over creative differences with Higley and Corday. However, that's only if he comes back after the strike, which we know nothing of yet.

• Members

Frankly, I don't think HS will return (after the strike is over). I still believe that Corday hired him (and later, Ed Scott) to appease the network and Sony; and that once the ratings failed to materialize, he felt justified in demoting Meg Kelly, re-hiring Dena Higley, etc. I know (Toups has said) that firing Brandon Beemer and Martha Madison was due to "a certain writer's" unwilllingness to write for their characters; but isn't it funny how these two were one-half of what was shaping up to be one of Hogan's biggest DAYS stories yet?

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Hogan's plans for John's return (that is, if he had any) aren't torpedoed, and the delicious story that Deidre and Drake gushed about and promised to the press doesn't happen.

• Members

That is a good question. My instincts tell me that, one way or another, HS will not return. I mean, when you consider that Corday opted to hire Dena Higley during the strike...the same Dena Higley who decimated DAYS in the early 2000s before doing her signature hatchet job at OLTL...you have to wonder what is going through his inane brain and how someone like Sheffer must go against his way of thinking.

I'm sorry but with the recent firings (Beemer, Madison, Pinson and Koslow) I consider DAYS dead in the water.

• Members

It's so weird. Out of all the soaps whose HWs I thought would not be back after the strike, AMC and Y&R were on the top of the list. It looks like I was right about Y&R, but not AMC. But DAYS was toward the bottom of the list. Now it seems almost certain that Sheffer will NOT be back after the strike (why else would Drake Hogestyn speak against him so freely in the press?)

Whatever happens, I just hope ATWT will not hire Sheffer back.

• Members

Shortly after DAYS named him their HW, HS gave an interview to SOD. IIRC, one of his biggest problems w/ writing for ATWT was that nothing he did seemed to work in the way of getting the show more attention. Whenever he told people he wrote for WT, the common response was, "Is that show still on?". Whereas, with DAYS, the minute they knew he was writing for them now, they would bombard him with story ideas and requests ("Reunite Bo & Hope," "Give John & Marlena a good story," and so forth). So, there's that.

Also, there's the fact that he reportedly quit (again, according to SOD ... or was it SOW?) after P&G put the kibosh on a projected two-year story he had developed for Holden, Lily, Dusty and Molly. At the time, P&G reported it would be a (17-week) sabbatical, but they soon announced he was no longer HW for the show (and while he did return, it was as associate/breakdown writer).

• Members

As I said over in the Lauren Koslow thread, I think now is Frons's chance to save AMC by taking Sheffer. I have no doubt Corday is enough of a fool to dump him now. I think Corday feels "safe" with people he knows from the "family" who understand his schizophrenic, hysterical views on the show and why it should always turn on a dime, and unfortunately Higley is part of that "family".

• Members

Great post, KHAN.

Somehow...I think Hogan will not return either. He has an incompetent boss known as Corday and now a hack writer as his co-HW. He didn't have enough freedom on this network. Instead of letting the guy do his job, Corday just couldn't resist putting his toxic hands in the writing pot. That's what pisses me off. There's a reason he's not a writer and Hogan is. Stop trying to do everyone's job and do your own. How hard is that to understand?

Hogan isn't happy. He can't be. Corday went out of his way to screw up the plans. I think if it was Ed, Hogan and the rest of Days onboard, the soap would rise from the "ashes". I really do. However, as long as Corday is in charge, Days seems to have no hope at all.

Frankly, I want Hogan to walk. I'd rather him on ATWT again or maybe OLTL. It's such a damn shame. I really thought Days finding its way back. Now Higley and Corday are going to kill it again.

Archived