Ditch the Writers, keep the scabs

• Members

I don't know if it is just me, but daytime finally seems fresh, and more enjoyable than it has been in years. For so long this industry has been run by a very limited group of writers who move from soap to soap and trash the characters and dispose of the decades of history, when the history is what makes soap opera such a unique genre.

In the past few weeks Y&R has turned around 90% and using the history of characters to generate dialogue and storylines. AMC too sounds like it is going through a dramatic change by focusing on the characters the audience treasures, instead of all the newbies that have been the focus for far too long. B&B is still written by the regular writers, but even it has brought on new cast members who fit, and expose the past to propel the current story.

I have to wonder if the strike has brought in new blood, or if the old but anonymous writers are stepping up their game because they know that if the soaps get taken off the air, they will never return. Whatever it is, this is good for soaps!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm iffy, AMC sucked rotten eggs today, but I don't think a scab wrote today, I think it was Chip Hayes.......

I think the jury is still out, the scabs are just getting started, they might be like most of the current daytime writers: start out good then run out of steam......

• Members

I had been hoping & waiting for this xact topic to develop somewhere on SON. Yay!!

I 100% agree! I love what the scabs seem to be starting on the soaps over the last week or so!! Maybe I am wrong, but I really see differences in 'Y&R' 'GH' & 'AMC' that must be 'Scab' influenced.

The longer scenes & well-timed conversational nods to history on 'Y&R' is such a treat!! I hated what this show had become over the last 18 months. I had been & do still long for the Genoa City of years ago!!!! I loathed the recent 'rapid fire' speed & daily gimmicky writing that we viewers were subjected to in '06 & '07. I am beginning to notice a gradual feeling of Community coming back to the fore in Genoa City. Today for example, it was a treat to have Lauren Fenmore at least have the chance to mention that she too, was once a singer & quite sought after, with Danny Ramalotti!!! (I was hoping though, that Lauren would end up saving th enite by offering to fill in as the 'Indigo' crooner) alas......

I can only hope that during this present strike, the fill in writers continue to delve into this show's wonderful deep past with continued long scenes & rich dialogue & interaction. I must admit, I secretly hope that the entire Fischer family is sidelined if not ignored during the duration of the strike, (sans Lauren, of course.) They bring nothing but dead weight to the show & have for the last year or so, at least!

'General Hospital' seems to be more 'at ease' in its own right. Though I feel it is still a snoozefest 4 days out of 5, I do welcome & love the quirky scenes between Alexis & Diane. I see ever so slight shadings of I dunno.... a young Viki & Dorian (OLTL) brewing within these two. There seems to be also a change in how Sam is being written. To me, any change in her 'characterization' at all must be cited as a tentative improvement (ha ha)- I love Megan Ward & her alter 'Kate Howard' immensely- I just hope the Scabs keep finding ways to link her to more long time PC residents. She does still appear very very 'Sonny related' Only. To me, that is a waste of her potential. Megan is the 'find' of Daytime for 2007, hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone at least kinda agree?

Archived