2008: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course, now I'm wondering if Seidman and Racina were Griffith additions, since it was alleged that Griffith was rewriting Maria's stuff and controlling the writing team. Remember when Rain1 said Griffith had his likes and dislikes of writers when Y&R was hiring new writers? Most of those hired happened to be repped by his agent as well, though Racina wasn't one of them.

Maria of course has much more power now.

• Members

I don't think it's a loss of work, since Shaughnessy only directs intermittently. For the most part, it's Stich, Kelly and Popp doing the lion's share of the directing according to the credits. and the amount of work being done by the B&B directors on Y&R - Kelly directing a handful of episodes, Stich so far only directing the remote shoots - is pretty small as well. If Tonya Lee Williams' statement mentioned earlier about both Bell brothers having a hand in Y&R is true, maybe Bill Jr. and Brad are trying to inject a small amount of experience with the "Bell Style" since Y&R has very little of that these days?

• Members

Wow...more "old school" than "new". I get confused because there are SO MANY other writers besides the SWs there. But I totally agree about the stability part.

Honestly, the Jack Smith episodes at B&B have been as awful as the Patrick Mulcahey ones some days. Not "old school Bell" but eye rolling florid melodrama.

Interesting idea...Brad lets his directors go over to Y&R to "show 'em how it is done". Very intriguing idea....

• Members

I have to admit... I enjoy it, too. There's just something about it, like when I read old plays (one of my favorite one act plays is "Fourteen" by Alice Gerstenberg from 1920), I love that dialogue!

I mean, there's nothing wrong with updating dialogue, making it more realistic or what have you, but (and I promise not to go on yet another tirade) it's just filling each and every single scene to the brim with slang and cutesy turns of phrase and sarcasm that I have a huge problem with. It's akin to patting yourself on the back for being just so dang clever.

[/rant]

• Members

I know it's a very untrustworthy site, but someone on Wikipedia is reporting that Mike Denney returned to Y&R. Is it true or just pure speculation?

UPDATE:

Ahhh, so they say he directed Monday's US episode. Hmmm, interesting. ;) This is good news. I hope Foster and Maxam come too. Or either one of them.

Archived