2008: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I gotta agree with WorldTurner and Khan here. Those B&B characters, with the exception of a few, really are circling the drain in terms of nuance. And since it's only a half-hour show, you don't have a whole lot of time to explore their depths.

However, I do think it's been years since we've really seen PM shine the way he used to.

• Members

Just finished listening to the Thom Racina interview....he sounds fantastic. It almost sounds as if TIIC at Y&R are attempting to get back to basics and renew the show. The fact that he said Jill appears to be gaining traction and prominence is GREAT! I really hope August/September pans out!

• Members

To paraphrase Amanda L. Beall... Open your bed, insert ME!

Now, whether or not I can get Guza canned is another question. :lol:

Because it can be done. If asswipes can just get the hell out of the way, daytime dramas can become phenoms again. I know you didn't address this question to me, directly, but I KNOW that soaps can achieve greatness if given the chance. Instead of Frons et al turning the medium into cheap primetime knockoffs, the executives should look back 20-25 years and see what was making daytime, well, DAYTIME! It's the networks' fault for hiring people who don't appreciate the genre for what it is. Fine, Angela Shapiro (Frons' predecessor at ABCD) did the whole "Shop the Soaps" thing... but I'd rather be "forced" to see a character wear a plastic ring and have a plug during the 30 minute bumper than see AMC turned into a cheap SATC knock off. If I want to watch Sex and the City, I'll watch Sex and the City. DVDs are all over the place. I want to watch ALL MY CHILDREN because of the simplest fact that it's ALL MY CHILDREN.

It's my sorriest hope that one of these days, these precious focus groups Frons loves so much start to consist of DAYTIME ENTHUSIASTS. But it's my personal belief that these focus groups are "coincidentally" consisting of people who don't "get" or watch daytime television and only watch primetime television.

It's simply Y&R's turn. CBS is being run by a woman who used to work at ABC -- a network that, WOW, lives by the same philosophy: If it ain't broke, fix it anyway.

• Members
I love Beth M. I think she did great work on DAYS and B&B. Everyone in daytime likes her, too. But I still question her promotion to script editor after being with Y&R for such a short time. Y&R is a show rich in backstory and history, lots of very subtle things BM can't possibly know. It's the same problem I see with Y&R hiring non-Bell writers. I think the show would be much better served bringing back some or most of the old guard.

• Members

From what I've gathered over the years, behind the scenes, Guza and MVJ have true friendship. I think, sometimes, you're able to "forgive" a friend's faults easier than you're able to forgive someone you don't like... because MVJ bolted the minute JFP brought Megan McTavish in as head writer. As soon as she was fired and Guza was rehired, MVJ came back to work.

I strongly believe McTavish was canned because Maurice Benard had issues with her writing and even publicly said that when Labine or Guza wrote for Sonny, the words just flowed from the page. But when McTavish was writing, there was always something he had to go upstairs and talk to them about.

• Administrator

Yup, Guza and Val Jean are close. Guza even let her write a storyline (Liz's rape/the rape visited).

Yeah, Maurice wasn't happy about the whole Angel Boris thing. The funny thing is, Megan's material got Maurice his emmy.

One of the reasons why I think Guza has stayed so long is because he doesn't piss off the big 3: Benard, Burton, Geary.

• Members

And don't forget the fourth...Michael Logan.

The two times I saw him on the warpath were when Richard Culliton and Megan McTavish were HW of GH. (I'm not dreaming, am I? Culliton was HW of GH for a spell, and helped created PC, right?).

I remember this was around the time Michael Logan was getting TV Guide's online soap stuff off the ground (he was doing weekly chats AND internet-specific columns...it was a sad day when he left). But he just PUMMELLED Culliton. This would have been 1996-1997.

And later, when McTavish was on (around 2002, I guess)... I seem to recall more pumelling...but that may be my projecting.

• Members

ANd on this date, folks... right here in this thread... R Sinclair said in one simple sentence what the rest of us have been wasting pages and pages of posts on (and Nelson Branco wasted a whole interview on), without being able to find the perfectly concise words to sum it all up at its core.

Thank you, sir.

ETA: I know it's always weird with posts, so in case there's any debate of my tone, this was NOT sarcastic at ALL. Seriously.)

Archived