December 3-7, 2007

Toups

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's why I look at GL's future a bit positively. GL is the cheapest soap in production and yet its demographics and ratings are very much in line with the more expensive AMC. So my thinking is that as long as it holds steady GL is probably making more money than AMC and will likely be more attractive to CBS to keep around.

I'm not saying that GL and AMC aren't hanging on by the grace of the soap gods because they probably are. However, as long as they keep turning a profit I don't see them getting yanked because the networks have yet to discover programming that gets the same sort of numbers. I also think CBS and ABC will be reluctant to cancel either show because of how long they've both been on the air and the associated prestige that both shows carry. GL is the longest running program in history...until the show is in the red financially I just can't see Barbara Bloom wanting to be the woman who canceled GL. Additionally, with AMC it's all about Susan Lucci, arguably the most famous performer in the industry...I would think Brian Frons would be reluctant to cancel the show that made 'Erica Kane' a household name.

• Members

I can see that, I'm just afraid that 1.9 isn't going to impress anyone under any circumstances. I hope Daytime fan is right and no one will want to be the one who finally canceled the longest running show on TV, or AMC for that matter. There's a breaking point somewhere, I just hope we haven't reached it.

One thing about ABCD is at least they seem to be making moves to try to improve the situation.

Archived