All: Temp Recasts

• Members

lets discuss temp recasts, the best and worst over the years...

Sandra Ferguson filled in for KKL as Brooke on B&B. I Have it on tape and wow, she didnt do all that much but she was amazing and is the far better actress, IMO.

Cynthia Watros filled in as Vicky on AW when Jensen B. was in the role.

I loved the temp thressa on Passions when the awful LH was out on leave. I cant remember her name, but she was on Sube.

Question for all you soap history greats- has a temp ever ended up taking over the role?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Devetta and the current Colleen Tammin Sursok are just recasts. Temporary recasts are people who fill in when someone is sick or on leave. Someone that is coming back to the role within a short period of time.

Priscilla Garitas (spelling) was the temproary fill in for LH.

• Members

Devetta and the current Colleen Tammin Sursok are just recasts. Temporary recasts are people who fill in when someone is sick or on leave. Someone that is coming back to the role within a short period of time.

Priscilla Garitas (spelling) was the temproary fill in for LH.

• Members

Priscilla Garitta(sp) was her name I think, MoTheGreat.

Davetta Sherwood as Lily was great. Loved her version and style to play Lily.

Adrienne was miles better than the girl they have playing her now.

On GL, I've seen videos of Daniel Pillion's version of Alan Spaulding and he isn't all that bad. I would say he's a smidge better than RR who we have now playing Alan. Of course no one can beat Chris Berneau who originated the role of Alan and to many long time fans owned it.

I remember when Beth Ehlers went on maternity leave and a different actress took over for BE. She did pretty good. (I think this was during the summer of 2002). I believe the actress used to be on ATWT.

Worst Temp Recasts

John Bolger as Phillip Spaulding

The guy that replaced Michael Zaslow during the final days of Roger Thorpe on the show.

• Members

James Horan replaced Larkin Malloy on EON while LM was recovering from his car accident. I didn't think he was a bad actor, I just really missed LM.

Christine Jones substituted for Erika Slezak on OLTL when ES had a baby. Again, not bad. Kamar DLR was replaced earlier this year when he had surgery. The sub's style was similar enough to Kamar's that he did well, although it came at a huge point, when Antonio was finding out about Nash and Jessica, that it was weird to see someone else reacting to it all.

A really weird one was on Ryan's Hope. For some reason, Dominic Chianese disappeared and reappeared as Alexei Vartova several times within what seemed like a couple of weeks span. One day, it was DC, next day another guy, then DC was back again a couple of days, then the other guy, then DC again. All the more jarring because DC was tall and dapper and the other guy was short and looked like Igor. :P Oh, and Kate Mulgrew was temp. replaced as Mary when she had an accident. Ugh, that was bad. :lol:

• Members

Dennis Parlatto? I think? Decent actor in a thankless job.

Way way back in the late 70's a somewhat older British actress filled in for Beverlee McKinsey as Iris on AW for a few days. She was surprisingly effective in the role. Oddly enough, Ms. McKinsey had injured herself in some silly household accident, so the replacement actress did most of her scenes with her arm in a sling in anticipation La Beverlee's return a few days later in a similar state.

• Members

On Another World in the early 80's,Laura Malone (Blaine Ewing Cory)went on maternity leave after 6 years in the role and was replaced by Judy Dewey.

I'm not sure if Malone returned for a short time or not but it was announced that Dewey would be taking over the role permanently.She played Blaine for almost a year until Blaine and Sandy were written out.

I recall on Y&R that Deborah Adair,who had played Jill for 3 years returned as a replacement for Brenda Dickson for a few days.Dickson's Jill was way more campy than Adair's and it was interesting to see Jill return to a more realistic place while Adair was back in the role.

Some other temps people might recall and like to comment on

Lane Davies as Ridge B&B

Catherine Hickland Brooke B&B

Maeve McGuire Lisa ATWT

Robert Montano Antonio OLTL

• Members

That was bad stuff. Back then a very plump Laura Malone, Terry Davis (Stacy Winthrop) and another actress appeared on a rival network morning news show. All three had been fired from NBC for not being thin enough after their pregnancies. I can't remember who the third one was or from which show (Texas maybe? Maybe AW?)

Laura Malone was the most heartbroken. She claimed P&G and NBC had led people to believe Judy Dewey was her real live sister so that the "viewing public" would embrace her.

Archived