SOAPnet's--"The Devil Made Me Do it"--Marlena's Possession Episodes

• Members

Watching this again as an adult, the story was godawful. GL and then GH had good writing and acting in the early and mid 90s, and even AW was plugging along, trying its best to turn out quality drama within this subpar network, and I'm so glad I got to see as much of those shows as I did. But I am ashamed to admit I was enthralled by DAYS' over-the-top production values at the time. I remember how Marlena was mysteriously sick and took to her bed repeatedly throughout this story, and each time she had new designer pajamas to wear. And once the exorcism was underway, I seem to recall that she had a change of sleepwear each day - how thoughtful that someone risked being strangled with superhuman strength to untie her and change her clothes. (Such high drama - what does a stylish diva wear to her exorcism?) And the set design in her penthouse...looking back now, it's funny that Marlena probably had as much seating in her bedroom as I have in my entire apartment: I'd guess the couch alone could seat 2-3 people, and I counted at least 3 chairs. Really, I could see someone wanting to be Marlena - even at the risk of one's immortal soul - just to be able to live in that apartment...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, I think what people don't realize is that as slow and as repetitive as Reilly's stories were on DAYS, things ALWAYS happened. That was one thing I always noticed about the show when I watched and when I see old clips online. Things happened!

That's what I miss about DAYS and just about every soap on the air right now...when Reilly wrote for DAYS from 93-97...things happened! Stories would come to a head, characters interacted with each other in their storylines, hell, even Alice had something to do, even if she was a Bo/Hope prop device.

This is what soaps should be about...romance, relationships, etc. With DAYS, Reilly(under heavy and necessary supervision) just did it his way and it worked! That's what I miss about DAYS...that "tune in tomorrow" thing. If you stripped away the camp elements from DAYS and added social issues in, you guys wouldn't be saying the same thing.

I do think soaps need to tell more down to earth stories, but, as it was back then, Reilly did great things for, not only DAYS, but the whole genre when he brought DAYS up from cancellation hell. I have mixed feelings when it comes to Reilly, but I do respect the 93-97 era.

Now, I'm lucky if I am even interested in watching any soap opera anymore.

• Members

LOL...I dunno. I mean, the Nightmare at Graceland wedding of 97? DAYS came thisclose to tying Y&R in the ratings. I bet if DAYS had another summer under Reilly(and the camp/romance blend he had going in his first tenure), it probably would have happened.

• Members

This is my take on the Possession and Stalker years of JER's tenure:

They were campy. They were totally unrealistic. BUT... They were HELL interesting, entertaining, addictive! I would rather another Salem Stalker storyline than what we have now.

It was trash TV, but it was trash at its best.

• Administrator

Again, word. Damn, I just love seeing people praise Reilly. It warms my heart. LOL

Hogan should go watch those 1993-1997 dvds and follow Reilly's formula. Now Hogan doesn't have to dumb it down to Reilly's level, but the storyline structure and the type of storylines, Hogan should definitely look at what Reilly did. To start, you gotta have triangles/quads and have the storylines be about the female characters just like Reilly did. Secondly, DAYS really needs female villains (Reilly had 3 big ones in Sami, Vivian and Kristen) to drive the story. Thirdly, dangle the carrot in front of our face and then take it away.....do it multiple times.....and then at a huge event.....finally give us the carrot......but don't let us eat all the carrot.....just let us nibble on it...and then take it away again. And that's just some of the Reilly structure/formula that Hogan needs to do to get the ratings up. :)

Archived