SOAPnet's--"The Devil Made Me Do it"--Marlena's Possession Episodes

• Administrator

Ohh....another thing that Reilly did well was having huge weeks, back-to-back-to-back. That's another thing Hogan hasn't done. Just look at what's happening now. We get one good week and then we're back to normal. There's no hit-hit-hit like you said, Rugs.

Just looking at some the ratings I have, and you're absolutely right on with the three (mininum) big weeks. LOL

July 10-14, 1995: DAYS 5.1/16 (4th place)

July 17-21, 1995: DAYS 5.6/18 (2nd place)

July 24-28, 1995: DAYS 5.8/18 (2nd place)

July 31-Aug 4, 1995: DAYS 6.1/18 (2nd place)

May 27-31, 1996: DAYS 5.5/18 (2nd place)

June 3-7, 1996: DAYS 6.1/21 (2nd place)

June 10-14, 1996: DAYS 6.7/22 (2nd place)

June 17-21, 1996: DAYS 6.7/22 (2nd place)

And the 6.2, 6.5, 6.9 in June of 1997. Rugs, you have the weeks for these ratings? For some reason, I apparently don't have them my archives. Weird.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember watching the whole Marlena possesion thing when I was a kid, and at the time it scared the hell out of me. Now though, its just so camp and outrageous that its downright funny. Its fun to watch the old episodes again just to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all...

• Members

Wow...seeing those 3 episodes tonight reminded me of how good I thought the possession was at the time and how bad I think it is now. There was a time where I praised JER's first stint to high heaven but something that changed that for me was watching clips of his first stint and watching my old tapes a few times. The more I see it the more I realize how stupid it all was and how it relied on the camp and outrageousness to cover up the crappy writing behind it. That is why Days' ratings surged back then. Nothing like what was being dished out had ever been seen on daytime and it was also a different era. There was less choices of what to watch, budgets were in a much better state, writer's still had fresh idea's, etc. Let's face it. One of Days' big problems is the fact that the show has alot of vets and their characters have been through so much that it's hard to come up with something original and that the audience will allow. The fanbases would never allow what JER did now. That is why his second stint sucked ratings-wise. The audience was no longer willing to accept that stuff. Different times. Different eras. Plus, the fact that so many soaps tried to emulate Days or some of the stories eventually caused fans to reject that type of story, especially since fans of other soaps did not expect that from their soaps and the result was alienation of viewers.

The only part of the possession marathon tonight that affected me was the Marlena reunion scenes in the last episode. Those were written well for the most part. I was also reminded of how far Drake has fallen in the acting department. I also found Alice annoying back then. People complain about propping now but Alice was an even bigger propper back then then anything I see now. I also enjoyed seeing people like Carrie, MV's Jack, RKK's Bo (even if I hate what he did), Vivian, Sami, Lisa Rinna's Billie, Austin Peck when he was decent, Caroline, Victor, Fr. Jansen and Fr. Francis, Kristen, etc. I also was reminded of how bad some of the SFX were at times even then. Makes me love Ed Scott much more. It was great to see this and be reminded of 10+ years ago. I wish that they would show some 80's/early 90's stuff to show fans from JER's first stint and beyond what Days is really about. That was gold. That was what made legions of fans fall in love with this show. All JER's stint did was create a division among fans who want his style and fans that want a return to the show's glory years.

I am with Ryan in that Days just needs to tell compelling stories full of drama and that rely on the strengths of the vets while also interacting others and creating new characters full of promise. Just look at the week of John's death. The balance was great and the story was superb and the show gained +2. Last week wasn't bad either. While inconsistent writing, interference on the part of Corday, budget and cast cuts all contributed to Days' dramatic ratings loss this year, NBC and the infamous statement back in January has made it so that no matter what Days does they will never reach more then a 2.5 again. I think even a 2.5 is a stretch. The ratings would've still gone down but that statement made it worse. If that statement had not been made, I honestly feel Days would've never dropped below a 2.1. That's not saying much but still. The other soaps have come down to Days so a 2.1 could very well get them 5th-6th place. Days will be fine if it can get back to a 2.3 or so. That puts them in the mix, which isn't so bad.

The bottom line is resorting to JER-like tactics will only make things worse. It would actually alienate what fans the show has left and, no matter how much I love the show, I would quit if JER returned or if that style returned. That says alot for me considering I love this show so much. I should also say that if JER had been hindered by the same things Hogan has during his stint, his numbers would've reached the same levels during his second stint. JER did drive the show below 2.5 for the first time so, with the same issues Hogan had to deal with, it's a safe bet to me the same would've happened.

I had fun watching this event tonight but it makes me wonder what I saw in this the first time. To me, the actors salvaged this and made something of it. No matter how much I watch them, Aremid and Maison Blanche still seem just as good now as then, unlike possession. Maybe because they were grounded and about real drama with a gothic twist. JER seemed so much better with Sheri with him. The start of his stint with her was fantastic with Roman/Marlena.John especially. I know it was probably more Sheri then JER but still. That is why I like Sheri as a co-HW for Hogan. She rocks that role. I wish we could get more classic episodes, especially 80's stuff. Cruise of Deception is a good idea. Now that would be a dream.

• Members

Oh, one more thing, the end of the showdown with John and Satan/Marlena was one of the worst endings to a story ever. It gets worse everytime I watch it. The scenes at the church make up for it though. I loved those scenes and the scene in the rain. Gorgeous.

Oh, and just one questions. Toups, you said Days is up for renewal in March. Doesn't there contract run until March of 2009? I was thinking the show would still have more time and that before the Olympics would be the big deadline to be in a position for renewal. I'm confused :huh:

• Members

Parts of the possession were hokey and ridiculous (like the panther thing), but other parts were truly chilling and creepy... such as the original desecrations, levitating on Christmas Eve and most everything from the early stages of the storyline.

SOAPnet just chose to show the most outrageous episodes of the storyline, LoL. The bees attacking Shawn and the panther were ridiculous then, just as they are now.

It was definitely a love or hate story.

Meanwhile... you're right about Maison Blanche, Aremid, etc. They were BRILLIANCE. John and Marlena were amazing in the 90's, all the way from The Affair to The Secret Room. Even the triangle of Sami/Austin/Carrie was intensely good.

• Administrator

Yeah, DAYS' contract does end in March 2009, but decision time is coming up in March 2008 (5 months away!! yikes!!). So it's like a one year notice (if NBC cancels DAYS) which gives SONY time to try to find a new home. If NBC cancels DAYS and decides to take DAYS off before the contract ends in March 2009, NBC will have to pay up the remainder of the contract. So it's a good bet that if NBC cancels DAYS, it'll be on until the end of the 2009 contract.

This is what I've heard - I don't know the exact details. I could be totally wrong. LOL If anyone heard anything different, please tell us about it. :)

• Members

It would be of NBC and DAYS's best interest if they both parted ways in September.

If NBC announces DAYS is toast, affiliates are SO not gonna wait around for the finale, which will be like, one year away. The bigger markets will get a talk show in there(prolly produced by NBC's Syndication Arm), that will drive DAYS's ratings down even further.

• Members

BTW, I just got my tape yesterday(from a friend nice enough to tape the marathon) and I was so happy to get the tape!

Yeah, SOAPnet picked some lousy choices for the possession(would have liked to have had the Christmas Eve stuff in there and the burning of the church).

Being the soap snob I am(being able to recall storylines and facts like *that*) I kind of hate watching with people who don't remember timelines.

When Mike and Carrie were helping Shawn with the beestings, my friend said, "This was around the time Mike and Carrie started to like each other." And I was like, "No, that began in 1997....around the time Eric came back to town. I know my DAYS from 1995-98." And she kind of rolled her eyes at me.

Archived