Would it be hard to re-cast Kendall on AMC?

• Members

Alicia Minshew has been on AMC for close to six years. AMC has just re-cast Greenlee and Babe. I really think though re-casting Kendall will be very difficult. This role has alot of history and such a major part of the show. She is Erica's daughter for god sakes. It has so much history that Sarah Michelle Gellar created it and was such a major force when she was on and Alicia has thrived in the role. Losing Alicia would be very hard for AMC as they see her as such a lead part of the show. In fact Judy Blye Wilson said in 2001 when AMC wanted to bring back Kendall. It is the role she most dreads to re-cast because of what this role calls for in an actor. Not everyone can play Kendall Hart. It takes a very dynamic actress to play this role. If Alicia did decide to leave at one point, would AMC re-cast the part? Would it be difficult to re-cast Kendall? What type of actress can play this part?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I disagree completely. Just because they recast with Alicia doesn't mean the role is recastable.

I mean seriously. NuGreenlee, NuTodd, NuCarly ring any bells? Some roles AREN'T meant to be recast........

I hate Babe and think Alexa is overrated, but think the character should have just died when Alexa left

• Members

you are speaking to the wrong person, bc I think Sabine is a great Greenlee recast. I think they did great casting here. Ditto with TSJ as Todd. I prefer him in the role over RH. And as for Carly, I think all of the recasts were good. I dislike LW, but that has more to do with the writing of Carly than anything bc its more over the top than its been in hte past. LW is Carly for me though and she's doing a great job bc I hate the character.

I think almost any tole can be recast. People just wont know it until it happens. There are very few exceptions like Susan Lucci as Erica for me, but in cases like this, its mainly older vets who have had the longevity and exposure that she has. If some person doesnt want to play a role, theres always someone else who is willing to do so and if TPTB can find a suitable recast, than go for it

• Members

All of the roles you mention ARE recastable. Kendall is recastable, although Alicia Minshew has made the role her own and made me and a lot of peopel I bet forget Sarah Michelle Gellar's version (a lot of people used to say that Kendall was unrecastable after Sarah Michelle left, probably even AMC since they waited so long to do so). Trevor St. John is JUST AS GOOD as Roger Howarth. I actually favor him over Howarth. Carly has been recast successfully twice. Tamara Braun made the role her own, and Laura Wright has even done so. I hate Babe but I can differentiate between the whore lying babynapper and the actress. I've almost always hated Babe but have always recognized that Alexa Havins is a very,very good actress and I predict a big career for her. I think Babe is re-castable and that Amanda Baker may be a good Babe, but agree that I think I would've killed Babe off (and her mama too, lol) instead of re-cast.

• Members

Really, while Lish has done well in the role, to me and many others SMG is the definitive Kendall. SMG had that raw intensity, which Lish doesn't really have. Though the character has certainly changed, Lish doesn't do bitchy stuff as good as SMG did.

From instance, anyone remember the scene where Anton told SMG's Kendall that Mona had died? I don't think Lish could've pulled that scene off as effectively as SMG did.

That said, this day and age, virtually everyone is recastable to TPTB.

• Members

SMG was breathtaking. Lish added her own spice into Kendall and made her into a totally different person. I can't see anyone else besides her is this role... I don't know why. Yet, Sabine Singh seems to be portraying Greenlee great, so... maybe there's a chance. But God forbid. That day should never come.

• Members

I think AMC did themselves a huge favor by recasting the role half a decade later after Sarah Michelle Gellar left. The character had been out of sight and out of mind for years. Alicia was horrible in the role -- at first. But once she found her groove, she reinvented Kendall. A lot of it had to do with the Gordon Rayfield/Anna Theresa Cascio era, because Kendall had become a character independent from Ryan (she was attached to him the minute Lish's Kendall came on to the show until Cam left), Erica and her whole Erica vendetta. She became a working woman, established friendships and relationships with other characters and was able to blossom. In other words the character matured, and Lish was able to play a few more facets that were probably easierfor her to access. If she had played the same character Richard Culliton had written, I would've been like enough is enough. This grown woman acting like a teenage girl was just not cute.

Not to veer too far off topic, but I think it also has to do with Sarah Michelle Gellar (no offense) not being this AMAZING POWERHOUSE of an actress. With Carly, Sarah Brown is an actress that is just in a class by herself. Carly wasn't Carly because of the character -- Carly became CARLY because of what Sarah brought to the role. That's the mistake with a lot of recasts. Especially recasts that happen way too soon, such as GH's Carly and AMC's Greenlee. You have characters that became what they were because of what the original actresses brought to it. And then you get actresses of lesser skill coming in to fill the role, and they play it as written without really adding anything to it. They ride off of their predecessor's success and think the "character" is just going to sustain them. Not true. Without that extra something the actor brings to it, the character is just going to come off two dimensional. I don't think Tamara understood nor does Laura understand the true essence of Carly that Sarah tried to bring out in the character. Tamara played her as this mean bully because, to her, that's just Carly. Laura plays her as this loud obnoxious brat. But what I'm missing -- from Tamara's and Laura's portrayls, is Carly's deep rooted loneliness, outsider quality. The feeling that she feels she's unloveable, so why bother trying to earn the love and respect from people if she thinks they'll think she's unworthy.

Sabine's a horrible recast because she's just a horrible OVER actress. I understand the writing of the character has changed, but it's not just that. The writing of Greenlee had changed while Becky was still in the role. Stepford Wife Greenlee was NOTHING like the real Greenlee. So, I don't fault Sabine for that. What I fault Sabine for is, like I said, her scenery chewing OVERACTING. Nothing seems honest with her acting. It all seems put on... FOR SHOW! Like a high school drama class.

ETA: Babe is a totally recastable role because she's a cookie cutter character and Alexa has done very little to make the role her own because most of her run, Megan McTavish tried to sanitize Babe as much as possible after the whole GBS in 2004.

• Members

Sabine's fine if you ask me. Or others. But Alicia is Kendall. And nobody else. Alicia re-invented Kendall. So Sabine put her touch into Greenlee. And she's doing fine if you ask me. It was a year and a half after... enough time if you ask me. At least they didn't recast her immediately like Havins/Baker.

• Members

No, Kendall can't be re-cast. Not right now anyway. The only way would be if she left for like 5-10 years. Long enough for people to forget some of the story.

My question for you is: Why are you even asking? If AMC lost AM, now that would be the kiss of death for the show. She, TK and SL are the only reasons I'm trying to hang on as it is. If the quality of the show right now and how slowly the rebuilding process is going for them, they can't afford to lose their most popular actress. I don't think she's going anywhere. It would be a bad business move. I'm sure ABC would work out some sort of deal with her when her contract negations start. JMO

• Members

I dont think AMC will recast the role..YEA maybe the role is recastable but this is Erica Kane daughter..It took them almost 7 years to recast the role after SMG left and like Bianca, they will most likely leave the role open for her to return..

As for Babe and Greenlee, they are not erica's children

If Alicia decides not to return, after 4-5 years..They will recast if AMC is still on the air

Archived