Dual Roles

• Members

Soaps have had a lot of actors playing two different roles. Some of them seem to be wildly successful, some dismal failures. Which ones worked for you? Which ones should never have been attempted? Let me throw one into the hopper: Bold and Beautiful's Amber/April. Sorry, but Adrienne Frantz didn't have enough talent for one role, let alone two.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC: Adam/Stuart (Duh... the hands down winner, unless I'm missing someone obvious on another show that'll make me kick myself when someone else says it)

atwt: Frannie/Sabrina (fantastic)

Lily/Rose, although it had its blunders, if I had to choose one way or the other, I'd say it was successful. For the most part.

Cleo/Gwen, a hands-down mess. God bless JL for giving it her best shot, but it was ill-conceived on a story level

GH: Grant Putnam/Andrews, I thought was successful.

Days: tony/Andre - successful in the 80's, jury's still out on 2007, but it's looking positive

AW: Vicky and Marley, up until the Ellen return in 98, was always successful. Especially under EW originally and Anne Heche.

• Members

I didn't get a chance to witness Tony/Andre of the 80's but I really like the way it is going now. I tend to forget they are the same actor though sometimes I don't even know which one is which character wise.

I think Leven Rambin is doing a good job with the Lily/Ava role on AMC but Ava is wearing on my last nerve. And we hardly ever she her a Lily anymore which I would perfer more Lily less Ava.

The GH Noah/Eli thing annoyed me mostly because I didn't understand why no one mentioned to Noah he looked like a famous rock star before like come on if this guy was as famous as they made it seem someone would of mentioned previously that he looked like a rock star.

• Members

Anne Heche was excellent as Marley and Vicki on AW, really all of the actresses who played those roles (Jensen Buchanan and Ellen Wheeler) were good. That is likely due to AW's excellent writing. When the writing is good the acting should be easy.

But David Canary as Adam and Stuart Chandler is hands down the best. HANDS DOWN.

I also have to say that I loved it when Jeanne Cooper played her regular role as classy, bitchy, devious Katherine Chancellor and Kay's trashy waitress doppleganger Marge Cotrooke who tried to fleece Katherine of her fortune. I think that was around 1989/1990. THAT was good.

• Members

AMC

David Canary as Adam/Stuart Chandler

Y&R

Jeanne Cooper as Kay/Marge

DAYS

Thaao Penghlish as Tony/Andre

Deidre Hall as Marlena/Hattie (loved Deidre's one- or two-episode stint as Hattie during the SSK storyline)

Charles Shaughnessy as Shane/Drew Donovan

WORST!!!

DAYS

Arleen Sorkin as Calliope/The Calliope Robot

• Members

I'd say Anne Heche's Vicky and Marley is the best. I know this is blasphemy coming from an AMC fan, but I've never liked the way the show has handled Adam and Stuart. I've always found Stuart a bit irritating, corny, and hammy, and I roll my eyes every time I see Adam posing as Stuart.

• Members

Kate Collins on AMC in the early 90's as Natalie and Janet...her performance was a big part of the show's great success back then.

Erika Slezak's Viki/Niki in the mid 80's on OLTL...both women were distinct and propelled the majority of action on the show for quite awhile.

I may be stretching it a bit here, but I'm going to throw Jane Elliot's name in the ring for her work as split personality Carrie on GUIDING LIGHT...her performance was the stuff legends are made of!

• Members

The best have already been mentioned, so I will add one of the worst. Mac/James? on GH, the Mac look-a-like that was trying to kill someone. It was so awful I can't remember most of it, but it came to a close during the same time Carly told Bobbie she was her daughter.

A good one not mentioned was also on GH- Kevin/Ryan Collins. Ryan was so eeeevil, and Kevin was such a great guy, until he went a little nuts too.

I miss Rose on ATWT.

• Members

The Good...

Vicky/Marley (AW)

Adam/Stuart (AMC)

Katherine/Marge (YR)

Tony/Andre (DAYS)

Ben/Derek (SuBe) (The best killer/good twin rivalary ever!)

Lilly/Rose (ATWT)

Carrie's Multiple Personalities (GL)

...and the BAD

Simon/Whatshisname ATWT

Jen/Cleo ATWT

Lilly/Ava AMC

Didn't Ross have a twin in the early 90s on GL?

On the fence...

Reva/Dolly (GL)

Archived