TV Guide: Better Days Ahead

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think this may have been going on--at least off and on for a while. When I was taking drama at UVIC up in my hometown of Victoria we had one fo the drama departments famous grads. Critchlow? he played Mike Horton on the show in the 90s to do a few workshops when he was back in town. This was about 5-6 years ago and he answered a bunch of questions--back then I had no real knowledge of DAYS except that it was one of the soaps I had never been able to get into in the 90s cuz of its style. Anyway he basically said he left because he got tired of how they were handling the show acting wise, saying to his knowledge it was much worse than most soaps he knew--basically he said they'd give you your lines (and apparantly while he worked there they still often used cards and telepromptors--something I know ABC forbid on their shows by the mid 1980s--not sure about other ones), tell you your marks, often making them as static as possible and then shoot your scene--no actual direction.

This may be a dumb question but I've been a bit outa touch lately--who replaced Ed at Y&R?? I know Ed was EP and an important presence to the show ever since John Conboy famously left to do Capitol--even before

• Members

Yes, Ed left/was fired from Y&R in 2001 and he was replaced by David Shaughnessy, who imo, reinvigorated Y&R. Scott kind of burnt out towards the end of his run. Shaughnessy left Y&R in 2004, and that's when things kind of started to head south. Scott came back to Y&R as Supervising Producer in 2004, but that's essentially a nothing position.

I hope one day that David Shaughnessy finds his way back to Y&R...

• Members

It's just that I have read articles and recaps from events where the actor/actress says they discuss between the person they are in the scene with how the scene should be played. I just remember thinking "isn't that what the director is for"?

• Members

Because of the fast pace of soaps,directors have always had limited time to work with actors.

I remember reading recently(can't recall where or what show)that rehearsal time had been cut back due to budget cuts and actors received little direction apart from basic instructions.

In reference to an earlier post,Wendy Riche handed over Port Charles to Carruthers becuse she did not have the time to devote to both shows.

Do all EP'S routinely oversee the taping on a daily basis or is it an individual thing?

In an article on Gloria Monty in GH's glory days,there was a reference to her coming on stage during taping and overriding decisions that had been made in her absence earlier in the day.

Archived