TV Guide: Better Days Ahead

• Members

HELLO? Here is the problem. No one bothered to give them direction. You need the EP to tell the actors how material should be conveyed on screen. Look at Stephen Nichols blog were on Ed Scott's first day and he seemed amazed at the input he was getting from Scott.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, I agree but that was the "old" Drake. I have my doubts about "this" Drake, the one we have had since 2000 or so.

I do agree about Wyman. The man had no clue what he was doing. It just seems like all the little things that need to be fixed will be and that one of the most crucial elements of drama...emotional connection and intensity...will be back in full. I can't wait.

• Members

I think we've already seen big changes with the directing. Bryan Datillo has been so much better the last few days. He's calmer, more focused and actually seems to be involved in his scenes instead of just hanging around in the background waiting for a chance to scream his lines.

• Members

Hmm, I was just looking at the Sony site for both Y&R and Days. I looked at the production credits for both shows and noticed that Days doesn't have any type of stage managers, while Y&R does. That could very well be the reason why the performances on Days came off as choppy and non-amusing. I'm willing to bet Scott will create a position like that for Days soon.

• Members

I know they have stage managers I don't know why they aren't credited.

And from the description I got off of Wikipedia they aren't in charge of direction of acting. They do help an actor get back on script if they happen to forget a line. Here is the wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage_manager. They are basically in charge of making everything run smoothly. Calling actors to set but the other stuff lies with directors and for a daytime drama an EP who is there daily unlike a director since they use many.

• Members

I guess it might depend of the soap? I know when Wendy Riche was EP of Port Charles, the actors there said they barely ever saw her and she was almost never on set. In that case, I doubt it was the EP who assisted with the acting. I don't know, but I thought the role of the EP was to oversee the entire creative process. I always thought shows had acting coaches on set to help their actors with certain scenes, in fact, I know it's done that way with sitcoms and primetime dramas.

Archived