TV Guide: Better Days Ahead

• Members

In the TV Guide that I received today there's an article about Ed Scott taking charge of DAYS. It boils down to taking DAYS back to basics, improving music, lighting, editing, wardrobe, etc. Here's the highlights:

Weak leadership, cheesy production values, mediocre casting, lazy actors, threats of cancellation--DOOL has been plagued by it all lately. But there's a good chance those DAYS are over. After an NBC-enforced shakeup, key producing and casting personnel have been dumped and a new sheriff--Edward Scott, former EP of the Y&R--has taken charge in Salem.

"My plan is to get DAYS back to beautiful basics--real drama with real people" says Scott. "That's why the audience is watching so much reality TV--they want to feel things are really happening." That doesn't mean DAYS will dispense with its crazy trademark theatrics. Notes Scott: "We have some wild stuff coming up with Stefano. In fact, we're going to do "Kill Bill". We just can't afford to do this over the top stuff all the time."

Expect changes in lighting, music, editing, wardrobe and the performances. "The cast isn't used to getting direction, so there's a whole new mind set now. They can no longer just learn the words and blow through scenes. They need to find meaning and levels in the material. Everybody got out of that habit." He's brought along former Y&R casting chief Marnie Saitta, a sign that acting chops and not just looks will be required of newbies.

Scott is known for his alpha dog style and has already thrown down the gauntlet to NBC. Last January at TCA the network brass pretty much declared DAYS a goner. "We know that is looming over us" Scott admits. "My goal is to make DAYS such a great show that there's no way they're going to be able to cancel it. They'll be embarrassed to do it."

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice article, but until we see it on our screens, it's just talk for now.

I mean Days can be the best quality show on television, but if ratings continue to slide, production costs continue to go up, and no real profit is made, NBC won't think twice about canceling this show. Renewing a show has NOTHING to do with the quality of the show. Though, it would be nice for Days have to a creative resurgence, if NBC cancels it.

• Members

Ed Scott will do a great job with DAYS. Of course until we see it, we can only speculate, but I really think he is what this show needed. Getting the budget under control, giving the actors the direction they so needed and bringing a level of talent & quality back to the show that has been missing for years is hopefully only the first of many changes Ed will bring.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some roles recast.

• Members

It was said before Ed's hiring was Sony's decision but now it's being claimed to be NBC's. If it is NBC's, that does show some level of support that they are still willing to make changes. Still, it's hard to believe. I do like Ed's confidence and, at the very least, he can make Days great so it can move elsewhere.

I just love Ed though. He is so serious about things and really seems ready to do whatever it takes. I can't wait to see this "Kill Bill" stuff.

I know I am always optimistic but I can tell this is going to work. The actors have already stepped up. BD has improved so much and the execution is so much better now.

Also, that lazy actors mention is not a good sign for Drake IMO. I also wonder if the mention of mediocre casting means people like Marcus Patrick and Trevor Donovan might be goners.

• Members

Call me crazy, but I'm optimistic about this. It sounds like Ed Scott has been given a lot of power, and he seems very motivated. He has a good grasp of what needs changed and a plan for implementing those changes. I'm looking forward to his new regime.

• Members

Thanks for posting! And I can't agree more with Ed Scott about this: "My plan is to get DAYS back to beautiful basics--real drama with real people" says Scott. "That's why the audience is watching so much reality TV--they want to feel things are really happening." That is so true. If there is any reason why the ratings are tanking is because there isn't any emotional reality to anything

Archived